Cool lastfm badges-charts-graphs

Comments

• My listening (and awake hours) vary with various projects I'm working on.
    Interestingly (or not), I try to find some time to sit down with my wife around
    dinnertime to watch something backlogged on the DVR, so there's little or no
    music activity during that time. Also, no prerecorded music if I'm literally
    editing sound (unless I'm playing something for my wife in another room).
  • Well, I've never paid too much attention to lastfm, except for starting it up each time I turn on the computer, so I was very surprised when I checked to see what's new there. It's listing most tracks that I've just listened to twice and I have no idea why that is happening. I don't see that this is happening on other folks pages so I'm sure I must have changed something by mistake. Any Ideas?
    BTW I have a Mac mini 10.13.4 High Sierra

https://www.last.fm/user/imalways?utm_source=last.fm&utm_medium=application&utm_campaign=last.fm_desktop_application&utm_content=2.1.37&utm_term=OSX
  • There's a short thread on Reddit.
    Hope it helps.

• Yeah, here's the "official" thread - unfortunately, they plan no fix. If one wants to scrobble from both iTunes and devices (like ios listening), there's no good way to handle it . There's an irksome way, though: set the scrobbler to scrobble devices but also confirm-scrobbles. Then you have to *not* confirm your iTunes scrobbles which happened 'live', while saying yes to the device scrobbles that happen offline and get synced later. It's a pain.

Now, they do recommend "If you have an iphone device, we have a dedicated iOS scrobbling app which you can download from the itunes store." - But I tried that, and the app seemed to track itunes too, and I ended up duplicating in ways I couldn't figure out how to manage, so bagged it.
  • Thanks to both. I'll try those tips after I close down iTunes later on. 
  • Preferences in Last.FM Scrobbler:

• Thanks again, it appears to be working now that I've made those changes.
  • Hi, me again. I recently upgraded my Mac mini to Mojave and now it appears that Lastfm won't scrobble any more. The scrobbler pops up when I start up Lastfm and it shows I'm online but nothing appears in the Now Playing window. I tried changing the combinations in the preferences but no change. I tried googling for solutions but came up empty.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • I'm updated on Mojave on macbook with no scrobbling problems, fwiw. You up to date on all apps? (stupid qstn, but still). maybe check preferences->Devices?

• Thanks, I've tried all the combinations on the devices page and Lastfm is up to date. I'm sure this computer just likes messing with me. It still doesn't open up properly and now it won't go to sleep. Darned computers!
  • edited November 2018
    This might be a stupid suggestion from a computer illiterate.
    Have you tried to remove it and reinstall ?

- It was nice to stop by your profile now and again.
  • Well, that's something I haven't done. I'll study up on how to do that and give it a try. Thanks in advance, I hope!
  • edited November 2018
    Well, after almost 3 hours of studying, I got a free AppCleaner and got rid of the old Last.fm twice. First time it only downloaded the 2.1.36 version 2nd time had the option to download the upgrade to 2.1.37.  Neither worked.
    Judging by this post https://getsatisfaction.com/lastfm/topics/scrobbling-problems-since-upgrading-to-macos-mojave-itunes?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all, I'm not alone.
    Oh well. 
  • edited December 2018
    Well, the good news for me is that I finally got lastfm to work (I think). I really can't believe how much I missed it, but I did. I took the plunge today and paid for a Mac App Remover to see if that would work. No luck, but as I came back to this post to tell my sad story, I revisited that lastfm getsatisfaction and found the Official Response. Yah!!!

I really missed not being able to add my tunes to share with the rest of the lastfm community. I kinda felt like I was doing a disservice to all the musicians who've introduced me to so much great music/noise/whatnot by not being able to make my small contribution by adding them to my last fm library.
    I sort of figured it must be something that needed to be checked, but I just couldn't find the right one. Darned little brain!!
  • edited December 2018
    confused said:
    Well, the good news for me is that I finally got lastfm to work (I think).
    It looks good from here . . . :)

• edited December 2018
    confused said:
    Well, the good news for me is that I finally got lastfm to work (I think).
    It looks good from here . . . :)
    From here too. Thanks again, to all, for the suggestions. They're greatly appreciated.
    FWIW, I even figured out that the screen size problem I was having was due to the TV and not the computer because if I turn the TV on after the computer has finished starting up it shows up the right size. That only took a year or so to figure out.

• Took me 40 years to figure out the slogan of Kay Jewelers

"Every kiss begins with K"

was not, in fact, about me

you're ahead of my game, confused!

Merry Christmas to all!

• Katrina said:
    Merry Christmas to all!
    Merry Christmas @Katrina
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga1335480814_14jpg

• edited January 2019
    The year-end listening reports have now been calculated, fyi.

• edited January 2019
    ^^ thanks,
    It seems that you'd have to subschribe to get that one.
  • Yeah, I do subscribe. At $3/month, seems a paltry sum as much as I voyeurize the site. :)
  • How dare you take 0.92 hours per night to sleep!
  • The cats enjoy the music throughout the night.
  • I've long wondered what explains various ultra-high listening counts. Yes, you could conceivably play 400 typical tracks per day with average lengths and having one constrantly playing stream. But is that what's happening, rostasi? Your report's listening clock shows a lower constant stream at "night" (presumably), and higher variable counts during the day. Does that imply then multiple playing streams, one constant, and another (or more) high-but-variable?

Also, what happened that you played 18k tracks on Dec 31?
  • Oh, I have multiple streams going on different speakers throughout the house and throughout the day and night. Plus various things that I plug in on occasion that dumps stuff towards Last.FM. ...and every kind of link to music is tied in with Last.FM, so even if I listen to, for example, a soundcloud or YouTube vid., it gets counted. I was wondering about that last day of the year statistic myself. I'll have to think what it was I dumped on that day. I did make some end-of-the-year transfers from one 4TB drive into a 16TB drive that day, but I can't imagine that was it.
  • Heh, I'm a bit the opposite - because I generally listen to smart playlists that exist to "bubble up" music that's either newish or not heard in a while (to rotate through my library "fairly"), I get unreasonably super-pissed at myself if I ever leave anything playing when I'm not around. Because that would mean stuff I "should" hear (as determined by my playlist algorithms) I missed, and it's pushed out of the playlists for a possibly long time.

Separately, I'm skeptical about the year's "Mainstream" meter - week in and week out, my mainstream meter reads 20-25% very consistently, and yet my year's meter reads 40%. That smells funny, not sure how to arrive at that result in a consistent fashion.
  • Yeah, I don't intentionally do algorithms. The sounds are pretty random unless I'm trying to put together a playlist for something (like Random Radio). An exciting thing for me is sitting (or just being) somewhere in the house and listening to randomly combined sound that accidentally creates a memorable playlist. I'll chuckle while doing something if I hear a particularly good segue or an unintended combination of tunes - then, I may check my last.FM list to try reconstructing it in an actual playlist for a project (for the car or R.R., etc).
  • edited January 2019
    kargatron said:
    Heh, I'm a bit the opposite - because I generally listen to smart playlists that exist to "bubble up" music that's either newish or not heard in a while (to rotate through my library "fairly"), I get unreasonably super-pissed at myself if I ever leave anything playing when I'm not around. Because that would mean stuff I "should" hear (as determined by my playlist algorithms) I missed, and it's pushed out of the playlists for a possibly long time.
    Ha, I have that exact thing too (without using Last FM). It makes no objective sense to obsess over my listening being "fair" but it's a strong subjective sense. (Perhaps "fairness" is not the worst instinct to overextend).

@rostasi, I saw a documentary clip once about some guy whose hobby was playing lots of vinyl records simultaneously in the same room, waiting for the chance moments of beauty to emerge from the cacophany.
  • I don't wait.