Favourite Rock Albums from the late 60s and early 70s

Comments

• @rostasi what a great album!
  • edited October 2021
    "The Damnation Of Adam Blessing" s/t album from 1969.

Try track 7 - "Dreams"

and track 9 - "Lonely"

• edited October 2021
    "Return to the Sabbat" by Black Widow.

These are the demo tapes done for Black Widow's first album "Sacrifice" issued in 1970 and the result is way better! There is much more than just the well known single, "Come To The Sabbat" on this album.

AMG says "Few albums have undergone such a dramatic transformation in their fortunes as Black Widow's Sacrifice. Best known for so long on the strength of one track ("Come to the Sabbat") on an early-'70s CBS sampler, Sacrifice was for so long the guilty secret of a mere handful of prog fans that it felt like it might never be rediscovered. But it was and, today, no less than three full versions of the seven-song opus are available on CD."

BLACK WIDOW Return To The Sabbat reviews

• "Blue Matter" 1969 album by Savoy Brown.

Savoy Brown  Blue Matter  Album  Artrockstore
  • The hair!! I had similar hair but not the moustache :)
  • edited November 2021
    “Without Introduction” the 1972 and only album by Polyphony.

Highly regarded and excellent music.

• edited December 2021
    Malo s/t album from 1972.

Malo were led by Jorge (brother of Carlos) Santana. Whilst this album has similarities to Santana albums of that period, the accent is more on the "Latin" and less on the "Rock" of Latin Rock.

Best Music Ever October 2018
  • Back to the 70's. "Undead" still remains my favourite Ten Years After album of those I've heard.
    Ten Years After

Undead                                                                Ssssh.

Cricklewood Green                                               Watt

A Space In Time                                                   Recorded Live
  • edited May 2022
    Iron Butterfly "Live at Fillmore East 1968"

Probably their best ever live recording.

@Brighternow was a real fan of their "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" album.

Fillmore East 1968 - Album by Iron Butterfly  Spotify
  • Back in the day, I was sure that they would be bigger than Led Zep - I still listen to Iron Butterfly more often but have never seen this release.  Cheers
  • Tim Buckley

Goodbye And Hello                                              Blue Afternoon

Starsailor                                                             Greetings From L.A.
  • Jim Pembroke - Pigworm

• Traffic

Traffic                                                                  John Barleycorn Must Die

Welcome To The Canteen                                     The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys

Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory
  • rostasi said:
    Jim Pembroke - Pigworm

That's a great song, not sure I've heard it before. I know the name, sort of, via Wigwam.
  • rostasi said:

One of those great lost bands that I'd not have heard of if not for (I think) Audion. The opening track is quite frantic, I thought it was pitched up at first.
  • Paul McCartney

Happy Birthday Sir Paul, 80 today
  • edited June 2022
    Thanks to @confused for the introduction back in early 2020.

The outstanding s/t 1972 album by French band Moving Gelatine Plates. Canterbury scene style Prog Rock.

AMG says "On their impressive 1971 debut, France's Moving Gelatine Plates create a unique brand of jazz-influenced progressive rock. Parts of the album are reminiscent of the music recorded by groups from England's Canterbury scene (e.g., Soft Machine), but the Moving Gelatine Plates' driving rhythms and catchy thematic shifts set the band apart from their English counterparts."

MOVING GELATINE PLATES Moving Gelatine Plates reviews
  • djhdjh
    edited June 2022
    Thanks to @confused for the introduction back in early 2020.

MOVING GELATINE PLATES Moving Gelatine Plates reviews

And thanks to you for the reminder. Don't think I'd heard their first before and it's a long time since I heard their second and some would say better album The World of Genius Hans (with the smoking cow on the cover). Also I had no idea that they'd reformed twice, I'll be checking  out some of that later but for now...

Actually that link is to a version that contains 1980 era bonus material as well as the full 2nd album.

• Hearing this for the first time in a half-century or so...I was just a kid, but my sister had a copy! Prompted by a series of events commemorating the short but brilliant career of the producer Charles Stepney. Never really new the story before...An attempt, to some degree successful, by the son of the Chess Records founder to tap into the psychedelic vein, using local Chicago talent

• Minnie Riperton and Phil Upchurch were forces to deal with!
  • @rostasi That physical sensation in the brain when a long-dormant hard-wired node gets reactivated

• edited June 2022
    "Smog" 1973 and s/t 1970 albums by Mexican Psychedelic Garage Rock legends, Los Dug Dug's

Smog  Light In The Attic Records

• edited June 2022
    "Don't Lie to the Band", 1975 album by Canadiian Heavy Prog Rock band Dillinger

• edited July 2022
    "Songs of Leonard Cohen" the 1967 album by Leonard Cohen. Brings back great memories with songs like "So Long Marianne", Suzanne" and "Sisters of Mercy".

Songs of Leonard Cohen  Leonard Cohen 1967  1960s Days of Rage
  • “Rare Bird” and “As Your Mind Flies By”, 1969 and 1970 Progressive Rock albums by Rare Bird

• edited July 2022
    "Thoughts" Canterbury Scene album by German band Zyma

Zyma  Discography  Discogs

• edited July 2022
    The Stooges s/t first album from 1969.

AMG says "While the Stooges had a few obvious points of influence -- the swagger of the early Rolling Stones, the horny pound of the Troggs, the fuzztone sneer of a thousand teenage garage bands, and the Velvet Underground's experimental eagerness to leap into the void -- they didn't really sound like anyone else around when their first album hit the streets in 1969.....Part of the fun of The Stooges is, then as now, the band managed the difficult feat of sounding ahead of their time and entirely out of their time, all at once."

The Stooges  The Stooges  To Diskadiko  Music Store