Amazon Daily mp3 Download Deals

Comments

• @BDB - I presume you recognise Jason Bonham's ancestry. He has played with Led Zeppelin a couple of times at reunion concerts in recent years. In some ways he is actually a better drummer than his father, if not quite as famous.
  • ?Led Zeppelin?
  • Bonham%2BThe%2BDisregard%2BOf%2BTimekeeping.jpg

He had an '80s hair metal band too.
  • edited December 2011
    I was ambivalent about this when it came out but it's up for $3.99 today - The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams. There's a few intrigue me. And if you like Bob maybe you should get his song - he sounds like he's fixing to expire any moment. And maybe Jack White should join him - or at least go back where he came from.
  • The only track, based on the samples, that I really enjoy is Alan Jackson. I've never listened to him before, I just assumed that if he had all those contemporary hit albums he must be awful. Some of the one star reviews and comments on Amazon seem to be far more entertaining than the music. I did enjoy the "Timeless" tribute album but this doesn't seem as good. Perhaps for this price I'll download it and give it a full listen, it may improve after a glass or two of wine.
    And, yes, whoever Jack White is, he should definitely keep his mouth closed.
  • Lightning Deal in Movies and TV right now is the first 3 seasons of Breaking Bad - I've seen them all at least twice so I feel no need to own them, but that's some damn good television.
  • Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings have a new album called Soul Time! and it's $3.99 today.
  • edited December 2011
    Well, the number of sale albums at Amazon suddenly got bigger with (what appears to be) a lot of Americana. Many of the albums were DODs during 2011, but many are new.

ETA: This might be more of an across the board kind of thing. I jsut noticed Jordi Savall's new album Sublime Gate, on sale.
  • I think BT is onto something here - 69,900 $4.99 or less - seems like a great many. Only had time to look at the top page of the Blues sub-division but some good stuff - Chess, Joe Bonamassa.
  • edited December 2011
    Colin Stetson $4.99
    http://www.amazon.com/New-History-Warfare-Vol-Judges/dp/B004FBHOZ4/ref=sr_1_59?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1324477190&sr=1-59

Blues;
    Greg Allmann
    Otis Taylor
    Rory Gallager's Irish Tour, one of my favorites
    Bonomassa
    Eileen Jewell

Country
    Hayes Carll
    Nickel Creek
    Justin Townes Earl
    Allison Krauss
    Gillian welch
    Noam Pilkeny (my favorite BG of the year)
    Sierra Hull (I think she's overrated, but lots of BG people think she's absolutely adorable)
    Sarah Jarosz (much better than Sierra Hull)
    jerry garcia and david grisman

Jazz
    Spalding (of course)
    Gretchen Parlato
    Colin Stetson
    Keith Jarrett
  • OK, quick rant time. Amazon's categories for browsing music suck if you're interested in electronic music. The only two relevant choices are "Dance and DJ" which leads to various dance-oriented subgenres, and "New Age" which leads to sappy stuff. There is no way to browse for serious electronic music, any kind of avant garde or ambient or microsound or whatever. So how am I supposed to browse 65,000 sale albums to see if they might have one I want?
    /rant.
  • GP, try searching by labels.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, trouble is it's a lot of small labels with a handful of releases each. I just tried searching for those albums on my emusic SFL that Amazon might have heard of, but no reductions.
  • edited December 2011
    Here are some well-review alt-folk albums that made the sale:

Mount Moriah
    The Deep Dark Woods
    Bill Callahan
  • Here's a very nice performance of Scarlatti sonatas performed on the piano by Alexandre Tharaud for $4.99 on Harmonia Mundi.

http://www.amazon.com/D-Scarlatti-Sonatas/dp/B004OHV5TU/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324500723&sr=301-1
  • edited December 2011
    Ravedeath, 1972

Lots of Warp, including Brian Eno.

Lots of Fat Possum, including Black keys.

Lots of Yep Roc, including Nick Lowe, Dave Alvin, and Greg Brown.
  • OR by Kangding Ray is in the sale, and recommended.
  • edited December 2011
    Several good jazz things, including the new 2-disc MSMW set.

Galdwell by boy guitarist Julian Lage is one I've had my eye on. He's also on the New Gary Burton Quartet, which is here too.

Tons of great old jazz, and more Xmas jazz than anyone could possibly want...and yet I feel I should have been informed that there was a Matt Wilson Christmas album.
  • Thanks for pointing out this sale guys. It looks like it may even be for multiple albums by some of these artists. I noticed that all of Bill Calahan's MP3 albums are on sale. I would recommend "Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle" for a starting point.
  • edited December 2011
    Ho, Ho, Ho, y'all. Finally got time to take a peek at this, so I'm just going to add them as I find them.
    Alligator Records 40th Anniversary Collection, it's been on my SFL, ahem, elsewhere, so at this more fetching price it is yet more fetching, and not a bad comp. 38 songs, 2:38.
    Imelda May - both her albums, Love Tattoo and also Mayhem are in. Have both on CD. Love her.
    The first and the best album by The Fabulous Thunderbirds - Girls Go Wild. You could have turned out the lights and called the police right then.
    Jam Session by Mark O'Connor, Chris Thile, Frank Vignola, Bryan Sutton - hot diggity, this is good - already have it.

OK, seriously, this is one of my favorite blues albums, and by one of my favorite guitarists, Ronnie Earl - Blues Guitar Virtuoso Live In Europe. Absolutely phenomenal album, all instrumental by one of the finest tastiest players out there. Maximum rec.
    Johnny Winter's first album, recorded just before Columbia signed him - Progressive Blues Experiment. An essential disc for him - raw, powerful, classic.
    Terrific album by Sonny Landreth - FromThe Reach.
    If you had to have just one disc from Howling Wolf this would be the one - Moanin' In The Moonlight, a 2-fer that has most of his best.
    Early, that is the best, Savoy Brown albums - several at least.
    I'm seeing Rolling Stones albums.
    At least 9 albums by Iron Maiden; some Megadeath, Motorhead. Anonymous 4 - oh, wait that was supposed to be the next line - including some Christmas albums.
    Bunch of Tony Rice including this outstanding comp - 58957 - The Bluegrass Guitar Collection. Great stuff.

I gotta get some shuteye. Say good night, Gracie.
    Just one more entry - a number of New Rounder albums. Really, good night.
  • edited December 2011
    Things have been added to the list. This morning, only the sublime gate was on sale. Now there are eleven;

Orient-Occident; Istanbul; La folia; Celtic Viol 1 and 2; Boccherini; Elizabethan Consort Music; Villancicos y Danzas Ciollas (my favorite); Handel: Water Music; Lully

And now some Harmonia Mundi:
    Stile Antico: Puer Natus Est, Heavenly Harmonies, Song of Songs and Music for Compline
    Anonymous 4: The Cherry Tree, American Angels, Ladymass, 1000, Origin of Fire and Gloryland

29 Naxos albums

Two dozen from Compass:
    Solas ; Peter Rowan; Darol Anger; Liz Carroll/John Doyle

Fraser and Haas: Fire and Grace, perhaps the most thrilling album of traditional Scottish folk music

Folkways:
    Seeger; Roscoe Holcomb; Honeyboy Edwards; Doc Boggs; Leadbelly; Hazel and Alice; lots of comps

Five Bert Jansch albums
    Some Ethiopiques
    Some great Analog Africa
    Incredible selection of Ralph Stanley
  • Oh help. I could drop a hundred bucks on this thing w/o breaking a sweat. Won't though.

Alma Adentro and Sonny Rollins Road Show have shown up. I think I saw a tweet saying the sale was thru Jan, but don't take my word for that.
  • edited December 2011
    @Doofy

A song from Matt Wilson's Christmas Tree-O album will be available as the AAJ dotd on Christmas day, courtesy of Matt & Palmetto Records.

If I had any cash at all, I'd scoop up that Lage "Gladwell" album for five bucks in a heartbeat. I suspect were I to have been able to obtain it earlier in the year, it would've made my Top Ten of 2011 list.
  • edited December 2011
    At least 8 Lucinda Williams albums. Good morning, BTW.

Last night's haul - The Alligator 40th, Oceana by Derek Sherinian who were he not in Black Country Communion I wouldn't have known, Iron Maiden's first two (pre-Bruce) albums, Unusual Suspects by Leslie West (who lost part of a leg this year subsequent to a Deep Vein Thrombosis following an airplane flight), Raw Sienna by Savoy Brown, The Cherry Tree by Anonymous 4, and Classic Old-Time Fiddle From Smithsonian Folkways. Glad to have not been spending much at eMu lately.

Edit - Just got a hit for 84,643 albums when I searched for $3.99-$4.99, which is higher than yesterday. It's a sinister plot I fear.
    8 albums by Traffic.
    8 by Funkadelic.
    7 by Steppenwolf.
    11 by Robin Trower.
    11 by Joe Bonamassa, as well as both Black Country Communion albums.
    World Psychedelic Classics 3:Love's A Real Thing.
    Africa Scream Contest.
    Soundway Records Presents The Sounds Of Siam - this one is so good.

Do I recall someone lamenting that this album was no longer on eMu? The Celtic Tribute to Led Zeppelin:Long Ago And Far Away. (I like the Celtic Tribute version of Enter Sandman I DL'd from the Metallica tribute).

Holy crap - did you ever think you might end up at a Celtic jam session someday? Foinn Seisiun 1:Traditional Irish Session Tunes - 116 songs, and there's a number 2 as well.

Not all but a goodly number of releases on the Shanachie label.

Hip-O Select - the search is Price Low To High. Do Not Even Think About that Link Wray album - it is a stinker from his lost in the hippie woods phase - a stinker!
    This however, Tear It Up - The Complete Legendary Coral Recordings by Johnny Burnette and the Rock'n'Roll Trio has some of the most essential rockabilly songs in the world on it.
  • edited December 2011
    In the jazz dept, Baboon Moon by Nils Petter Molvaer is in the sale and well worth a listen. (No reason to listen to me re jazz; jonahpwll surfaced this one originally at AAJ DOTD.) Of course they would put the single album of his that I already have in the sale...
  • edited December 2011
    Couple of Julia Kent albums.
  • edited December 2011
    8 albums by Richard Thompson.
    Eric Clapton, or The Best Of Cream as well. I recall seeing Layla last night.
    Flatt and Scruggs- The Complete Mercury Recordings.
    7 by Southern Culture On The Skids, including my first by them Dirt Track Date which I love.

The best single disc collection of one of the world's great voices - Portrait of a Legend - Sam Cooke.

A whole bunch of The Definitive Collection series, and a whole bunch of 20th Century Masters series as well.
  • Thee Oh Sees, plus a lot of other In The Red Stuff; a bunch of Drag City and Matador too; oh and a bunch of Merge - for those missing those labels from emu.