Amazon Daily mp3 Download Deals

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Perotin by Hilliard Ensemble, one of Nereffid's blog recs, almost $3 cheaper than eMu and without the Frankenhofer albatross.
    Carolina Chocolate Drops: Donna's got a Rambling Mind and Heritage
  • edited December 2011
    Some good 2011 releases at $4.99:
    The Graduation Ceremony, Joseph Arthur--highly recommended
    Circuital, My Morning Jacket
    Ashes & Fire, Ryan Adams
    Mockingbird Time, The Jayhawks
    The Harrow & The Harvest, Gillian Welch
    Burst Apart, The Antlers

Bad As Me, Tom Waits $2.99

I"m not messing with links--you know what to do.
  • edited December 2011
    Say hello to 229 Verve for $4.99.
    Includes a bunch of Christmas albums - I've had this one for years - Have Yourself A Jazzy Little Christmas.

92 EMI Classics for $4.99.
    310 Decca for $4.99. It's a little slow at work right now, and since I can't download here I might as well hope somebody else can.
    657 Geffen sitting in a tree.
    25,896 for $4.99.

The Best Of Strunz and Farah - I really like these guys - new age/world meets flamenco/classical on steel string mostly, but very well done. This also is a really good album - Guitar Greats - The Best of New Flamenco - very nice sampler of really good players. Ooh, Guitar Greats II - Be getting this one later.
  • edited December 2011
    This is a more notable than most record I will be picking up later - New Orleans Street Singer by Snooks Eaglin, a most remarkable musician, should have been a National Treasure.
    This Gary Moore album I highly recommend for an introduction to his blues phase/just plain great compilation, 2 disc worth, the first studio cuts, the second live - The Best Of The Blues - at $4.99 a particularly fine deal for a great album.

Some interesting albums to be found on the Favored Nations label. The No Substitutions album by Larry Carlton/Steve Lukather is $4.45 and is very nice - I was very pleasantly surprised back when I got that because I'm not a fan of typical 70's style fusion guitar wankery, but it turned out not to be.
  • LONG time lurker -- first time post. Thought I would mention that I found the following in the sale:
    Let It Roll-George Harrison ("Best Of" type album)
    The Best of Bond-James Bond (title songs from all the movies)

Sorry I don't know how to do the linkies, plus I am at work (shh, don't tell).

Lots of interesting classical -- including I think three from BIS.

Lots of Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, etc.
  • ECM - $4.99-6.99 (82 albums)
  • @Secret Drummer - welcome! keep posting!
  • Lumiere by Dustin O'Halloran is in the sale at 4.99. High on my end of year best-of list. Solo piano with a light dusting of electronics.
  • edited December 2011
    Just an observation......or the resurrection of Frankenhofer (thanks,BT). It has come to my attention that several albums I downloaded the last couple of days here were UMG provenance and when prompted the Display Info in iTunes showed that they are LAME encoded, not Frankenhofer. Head to head the first two Rainbow albums (it's that Metal Evolution series I've been watching on VH1 Classic) - got one recently from eMu without properly thinking about it - yup, Frankenhofer. Got the other yesterday from Amazon - LAME. So, what, eMu just gets the fuzzy end of the lollipop because the corporate boys know they just gnaw? Or do they just not give a crap/not want to bother? Whatever.
    Curious observation - the UMG albums I got are LAME but not VBR - they're at 256kbps, and some of them took a bitching long time to download. Coincidence - I doubt it. There must be some tech tale to tell behind this. Thank you and a joyous holiday to all.

One further album to make note of - the utterly outstanding performing this week....live at Ronnie Scott's by Jeff Beck. An amazing document of what one crazy man with a guitar and little sense of boundaries can do - his playing is on a level all its own, and what I really loved is that he sounds like he is having fun doing it.
  • edited December 2011
    BigD, sorry to raise the Frankenhofer issue. $5 that Amazon (and Android) is offering doesn't have any overt advantages over eMu unless the recording is more reliable or it leaves less loose change. I felt burned over an album by the Harp Consort that had been sitting around long enough to still be as low as 160 on one track.

BTW, how's The Cherry Tree?
  • Ah, I cannot tell a lie.......I haven't listened to The Cherry Tree yet, except a couple of samples - I have 5 or 6 other albums by the 4 so I figure it's all good. Got 2 days left to listen though - also, got the Stile Antico tonight as well. Oh, the pressures of the holidays. Well, I'll have something to listen to tomorrow while I bake cheesecakes.
  • Well, I've noticed the number of albums on sale has gone up in the last hour. I won't pretend to keep up.
  • edited December 2011
    Good morning, once more into the breach.....a good number of John Hiatt albums. I have always liked that Budokan album of his.
    I don't know but I'm getting a lower number of total $4.99 albums right now, only some 35,000. DOH! That's higher than last night. Never mind.
    Thanks for posting that Perotin album, BT. Very good.

Kinks Fans - if you are feeling seduced by any of those $4.99 releases don't forget that both the Arista Years and the RCA Years box sets are $9.99 over at 7digital.

Great albums - The Deep End Volume 2 by Gov't Mule, also available Volume 1 - both absolutely top shelf items, and if you want Volume 3 look for the physical CD because it has a bonus DVD of an entire live concert from New Orleans.

Alligator, sixty something releases.
    Third Degree by Johnny Winter is really good.

Time to get American Banjo:Three-Finger and Scruggs Style from Smithsonian Folkways. Also Classic African American Gospel From Smithsonian Folkways.

Bella by Teddy Thompson is a very nice album.
  • Jacaszek, Glimmer and Treny
  • edited December 2011
    Chris Dingman's "Waking Dreams" priced at five bucks. Highly recommended.

Here's a post where you can stream it, read about it, follow a link to a free track on AAJ and a link to the Amazon page...

http://www.birdistheworm.com/?p=697
  • edited February 2012
    Just pimping for one of my favorite albums again, and a cheap date at $4.99, The Return of The Hellecasters - if you have any interest in instrumental electric guitar wizardry, especially with a twang, you might be liking this.
    613RKItV6%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • edited December 2011
    Found a few from my SFL's amongst these 97 from Vanguard. Many Joan Baez, Doc Watson, Adieu False Heart by Linda Ronstadt & Ann Savoy (highly recommended), a classic blues album - Stand Back! by Charlie Musslewhite, and Long Journey Home, 1964 by The Kentucky Colonels featuring Clarence White.

Would also rec Live At Antone's by Storyville.
  • Thanks for this list, Big-D. There were maybe 20 that list I should buy...too many for now! I agree the Linda Ronstadt & Ann Savoy is excellent, I grabbed a couple of the Joan Baez albums. I was a big fan way back when.
  • Latest purchase:

51nLLyBZfYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Oh come on, it was to thank my daughter for watching her nephews last night. I've sent a couple mp3 gifts at these prices; got this one in return:

51rQ42QVcfL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • edited December 2011
    A possibility, @$7.99, 3:25, to come back to after the holiday glut has worn off -
    51S3A8DKe8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I may have just found my Amazon gift card purchase - Andreas Staier Edition (Box Set) - 10 CD box, $21.86, no samples and no reviews - what better for a gift card?
    512I-WM4CtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    I don't know but he looks a little different on some of his other album covers.
  • edited January 2012
    I found this album back on eMu a long while ago and it was one of my top-rated serendipity finds - Levon Helm and the RCO All-Stars - Live At The Palladium in New York City New Year's Eve 1977. Really good, and $4.99.
    51DZSHVyQXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Here's the text from the AMG review, which I trouble to find because this to me was one of the super band in a low key kind of way records that really worked, and it boogied.
    In November 1976, the Band called it quits with a well-publicized Thanksgiving Day farewell concert, but Levon Helm made it clear to anyone who cared to listen he thought the group was foolish to throw in the towel, and within a year Helm was on the road with a band designed to show fans how much he had to offer. The RCO All Stars certainly lived up to their name, featuring Helm on drums and vocals, Mac Rebennack (aka Dr. John) on piano, Paul Butterfield on harmonica, Steve Cropper and Fred Carter, Jr. on guitars, Donald "Duck" Dunn on bass, and a horn section featuring Howard Johnson, Tom "Bones" Malone, Lou Marini, and Alan Rubin. While the group's sole studio album showed the supergroup's songwriting chops were not all one might hope for, they certainly had chops and swing to spare, and this live recording of the All Stars on-stage as 1977 was about to fade into 1978 in New York City testifies to their power as a live act. While Helm takes the lion's share of the vocals, he has the good sense not to hog the spotlight, with Rebennack and Butterfield singing some leads, and the musicians are in fine fettle throughout as the horn section blows up a storm, Helm's drums strut like a bantam, Rebennack's keys add rollicking color, and Cropper throws some razor-sharp solos into the mix. And while the song selection here, like on the studio album, is good but not great (the best numbers are the most recognizable covers, in particular "Good Night Irene," "Milk Cow Boogie," and the Band's "Ophelia"), playing before an enthusiastic audience the All Stars give these numbers just enough juice to make the difference. Helm obviously meant the RCO All Stars to be a band that would rock the party, and on this disc you can hear them do just that; fans of any of the acts on board will have a great time with this album.

Have to throw a rec at this live Byrds(Mach 2.1/3 as you see it) album too - Live at Royal Albert Hall 1971 - yeah, I guess it's become obvious by now that I'm a Clarence White fan.
  • edited January 2012
    $4.99 sale is drying up but not gone - down from 35,000 titles to 11,395 currently, so if there was anything you were on the fence about check soon - it might be gone already. Certainly made up for the lack of a 7dig Xmas sale, and with the dramatic drop in my eMu purchases lately it got me some top shelf stuff without denting the budget that much - a number of which were UMG affiliated releases I was never going to buy at eMu (you know, the "F" word), and a chance to get some old Rounder releases that at New Rounder prices just didn't cut the mustard.

Don't remember seeing this one there before but now/still $4.99 and a classic - The Real Folk Blues/More Real Folk Blues by Sonny Boy Williamson, which if you don't have the double disc Essential Sonny Boy Williamson this would do you well.
  • Pretty much ovah, at least the last few things I checked. Kind of a relief...like trying to stick to a diet with a double chocolate layer cake in the kitchen.
  • "with a double chocolate layer cake in the kitchen"
    - one that doesn't even require you to go to the kitchen to eat it, it just gets instantly transferred to your mouth when you twitch your index finger.
  • Down to 1,471 releases currently, very ovah. Glad I got those 2 last Tony Rice albums last night, and also glad it's over - I need some time to digest. Where did I put that brochure from MP3 Watchers?
  • Damn,I should check in here more often. There was a time (ahem!) some years ago when I was obsessed with Sonny Boy Williamson's More Real Folk Blues. Eventually that record was stolen/lost/left behind in a haze. It's up to $9.49 now.
  • There were a number of albums I was thinking of picking up... oh well. Annoyed with myself for not grabbing the deluxe version of the latest from Florence. Up to 15 bucks or so. For mp3? Give me a break.

I'm buying more vinyl these days anyway...
  • Up to 15 bucks or so. For mp3? Give me a break.
    Price creep has been steep this year. Indeed, it shouldn't be considered creeping.
  • @BigD-Bluez, I haven't checked this thread for a while - just now saw your rec for Levon Helm and the RCO All-Stars - Live At The Palladium in New York City New Year's Eve 1977, for which I thank you very much. Didn't know about it, but after listening to the samples, I downloaded immediately. Probably paid too much for it, but I think it will be worth it.

Thanks!
  • Glad you liked that, kez - wish I had run across it sooner in the sale.

Have only had the chance to listen to 2 of the 10 CDs so far from the Andreas Staier Edition box, but very good so far. Slim booklet has full track titles but little else. A fondness for harpsichord is required however.
    512I-WM4CtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg