Amazon Daily mp3 Download Deals

Comments

• Plong42, you're right. I did. Thanks.
  • Plong42, thanks. This deal is still available if anyone missed it. I've been wanting recordings of the 3, 4, and 5 harpsichord concertos since hearing them performed in concert this winter.
  • Today, it's Lana del Ray's "Born to Die" for the underwhelming price of $4.99.
  • Totally not worth it. I paid the $2.99 or whatever that google had it for recently, and was barely worth that. A couple good songs, but the rest are worthless.

Craig
  • She is on American Idol tonight. Don't ask me how I know that, I have never watched AI in my life. Pop culture osmosis...
  • Doofy, right now I am questioning your credibility. ;-)
  • Oh, come on, you can confide in us, it's like family. We, at home have watched since Season 1. Until now. Sadly between the questionable talent, sheer fatigue, and the Songs of Billy Joel, last night we chose not to.

On a happier note, I see that Amazon has a grouping in Musical Instruments covering many subcategories that gets you 15% off at checkout. I have a reverb pedal on its way that's been on my radar for some while which, between their current price and the 15%, came in about 30% off its price at the stores. Love reverb.
  • It's a gift. Or maybe a curse! As for example, I never watched an episode of 'Friends,' yet I generally knew what was going on from the chatter.

Anyway, I am too old for AI...Old enough to have had a crush on Paula when she was a pop star, not to mention in the target audience for 'Toys in the Attic' back when it came out.
  • I never watch X Factor over here or buy tabloid newspapers, but even just watching half an hour of breakfast news (on a different station!) I do get to know something about what is happening, so I understand Doofy's point. Sometimes you just can't avoid it!!
  • Not sure if any price is right for Del Ray.

Today is more promising. Hospitality's S/T for $3.99. Might go for it.
  • edited March 2012
    51q9urY3KCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I dunno - even at $0.99 I still can't get behind this, much less understand the basic question - why? Number 84 on the Amazon album chart today. Well, maybe it will lead some to find their way to actual Gregorian chant let's hope.

This, however, I'm downloading - Rain For Sleeping And Relaxation - 73 minutes of rain for $0.89. I can see applications for this type of natural white noise. I see there's a whole series of $0.89 entries from same "artist" in the Also Bought ticker.
    51xWleRBHhL._SL500_AA280_.jpg.

DODT is The Strokes This Is It BTW.
  • Amazon just send me an email recommending Lionel Richie, Madonna, and Iron Maiden. For once they make emusic look competent in terms of identifying my interests.
  • Got the same e-mail GP.

Craig
  • Did they recommend what you could do with that music?
  • Looks like we're set up for a listening party.
  • The sounds of nature have some promise for white noise to sleep to.
  • edited March 2012
    I recommend Ruby Canyon by WMRI and The Blue Sunshine by Mosca, both of them free downloads, for going-to-sleep music. Both work great for me. The sample of that rain recording sounds as if it would make me want the bathroom.
  • Was capturing an image for the Listening thread and hadn't seen this before - Five Hours Of Classical Baroque Favorites - to be evaluated at a later time. $6.99 so not an ultra-bargain set, but from X5 whose products I've found satisfactory, and some recognizable talent amongst the artists.
  • $3.99 Plants and Animals The End of that
  • $2 Amazon MP3 credit here: http://amzn.to/HITUMBLR
  • Sweet. Thanks Doofy. I'd been meaning to grab the new School of Seven Bells before it went off the $5 list at the end of the month, and this code needs to be used by April 1, so it worked perfectly for me.

Craig
  • The DAS strikes again. Thanks, Doofy.
  • Gracias.

I hadn't really browsed Amazon for music in a while, but after Greg mentioning finding more indie jazz, I thought I would give it a look. Their new arrivals does come closer in content than eMusic's; in fact, sometimes exceeding. The difference that works in emusic's favor (in my brief scan) is that overseas jazzers seem to be listing on their regional Amazon and not necessarily on the U.S. one, so there are some that aren't coming through. That said, the new release on the Hoob label was there on U.S. Amazon, so it's probably more of a function of the artists and labels not realizing that they might have to register on different Amazons. Actually, I don't know how it works, so that's just guesswork.

Another observation is that the new emusic display of three across album covers is exactly like Amazon's. When I do new jazz releases on Amazon, the only difference in display is that Amazon has a white screen vs. eMusic's black. Well, one other difference, and an important one at that... emusic has a sample button on those album images, whereas with Amazon, I have to click into the album page to listen to samples. Oh, another difference is that Amazon is pretty much across the board more expensive on that new arrivals jazz than emusic. If the price difference was all going toward the musician, this wouldn't be as much of a concern, but I suspect that Amazon is eating up the majority of that price difference.
  • Thanks, always glad to get some music for free or nearly free. I might see what comes up as the daily deal this weekend.
  • Doofy; thanks very much for the Amazon credit tip, I downloaded a couple of tracks from the True Grit soundtrack, which I would not have otherwise purchased due to their brevity. I'm enjoying them very much.
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks, doofy - used it towards the $3.99 Nirvana Unplugged album. Big Nirvana month between this and the deluxe Nevermind a few weeks ago - go figure.

New thing, another from the Bach Guild - Haydn Symphonies, 4+ hours for $0.99. Gotta get it. I guess it's 5 hours if you count the gaps between the songs, eh?
  • That Nivana unplugged was and is really really good. Also from that period, the Alice in Chains Unplugged was pretty great, too.
  • The Alice in Chains Unplugged is very overlooked - largely because the Nirvana one is so (rightfully) praised from that time period. But I prefer a number of the acoustice AiC versions to their album counterparts.
  • ok, not an amazon deal, but Nick Lowe, The Old Magic is $3.98 at yep roc today.
  • edited April 2012
    Noticed last night that Floratone's follow-up album (the ensemble consisting of Bill Frisell, Matt Chamberlain, Tucker Martine, Lee Townsend, Eyvind Kang, Hector Elizondo, and Ron Miles) is on Amazon for $5. It has the unimaginative title of "Floratone 2." It's also not bad, though I enjoyed the first one more. I'll be posting a review of it on BitW today. I was a bit underwhelmed by the album, but for $5, it's well worth it.

Cheers.