Amazon Daily mp3 Download Deals

Comments

• amclark2 True, still some good deals on Amazon just have to look.

@Doofy, you should be able to download Google music from a web browser. Some free live ep from The Civil Wars is/was over there and I picked it up. THen it's just a matter of clicking and downloading, but no download mangler required.

@Craig Yeah I suppose for me it's that price point and how much I want a particular album.
  • Yes, right, I can DL individual tracks. Was just wondering if there was any way of using their DL'er to DL only...! Not wanting to mess with it is certainly an inducement to buy from Amazon instead.
  • edited April 2012
    Well, the new Leonard Cohen album is already to be had cheaper on CD than the Amazon MP3 price (which is also the Google, 7digital, etc price. Emusic is cheaper but still $8.49. Half.com has the CD for $8.35. Not an urgent acquisition; might give it a listen when the used CD price drops a little.)
    ETA it's going for less than $5 on ebay with only one bid. Wonder how many Amazon are moving on MP3 at $10.99?
  • or possibly free through the local public library. The Dallas local library has supplied me with random new releases, some that I thought I might like, but wasn't sure about enough to buy, such as the latest Guided by Voices that for me just has a few good tracks.
  • Speaking of cheaper on CD, I just listened to some of this - Mozart - The Symphonies - the 10 CD budget set from DG of Karl Bohm and the Berliner Philharmonic, and first I can't wait to get this baby home to the real stereo (had it sent to the office like all my packages), and second I paid $39.99 for it, way cheaper than the $54 MP3 price at Amazon. The fact that it is as of this moment $47 for the same CD set is a mystery - not the first time I've noticed CD prices tend to be unpredictable at Amazon. Anyhow, I decided what with all the money I'm not spending on MP3 downloads at the moment I would get something I really, really want - so far I'm a happy baroquing farmer.
  • BDB: Crazy, but it seems like a trend. Based on my own limited and not in any way objective experience, physical copies of some things seem to have a quickly diminished value. I used to sell used CDs, DVDs, and Mac computer games on eBay to make some money back from them. Mac games especially used to do well, at least before online downloading stores like the Apple Store, but I had to realist some games a few times and throw in free shipping to sell them.
  • I am coming late to the price discussion having been away, but in general we in Europe do suffer higher prices. A number of sites, not least iTunes, do charge the same dollar and pound price, which currently means we are paying 15 to 20 per cent more, yet distribution costs online are the same. I read an interesting piece on Jason Parker's website recently where he had a NYOP weekend on Bandcamp and sold many more albums and raised much more income than normal. Certainly Amazon UK have raised their offers too, but perhaps there are more of them than previously - it has never been at US levels.
  • Not an mp3 deal, but ten different 33 1/3 kindle books for $0.99 each here. I think I might get them all.
  • Wow nice find! Thanks for sharing.
  • Thanks, Amclark2. The Dylan / Highway 61 was an excellent read, although that is the only one I have. (in paper, bought in a seedy used bookstore in SF.)
  • edited April 2012
    Just noticed the 2011 remaster Wish You Were Here has crept into the top 100 at $3.99.
    As has The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars.
    I see from the Also Bought ticker that these are also $3.99 - Achtung Baby, Parallel Lines, Talking Book, At Last - Etta James, Modern Sounds In Country & Western - Ray Charles, Rain Dogs, Band On The Run, Green River, Chuck Berry - His Best Vol. 1, a Specialty disc - The Essential Little Richard (have that on CD).
  • I figured I'd check Google music on those $3.99 and sure enough: Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame for $3.99.

Craig
  • edited April 2012
    A $3.99 classical offering I'm going to seriously consider DL'ing tonight - Baroque Trumpet Concertos, on the Seraphim label. Trumpet concertos not being something I go out of my way to consider or collect, but the samples sound nice, so maybe I'll fix this hole.

Oh, and look - they've got Music For The Zombie Apocalypse for $4.99 just like eMu. Stop. you're killing me.
  • Apparently Zombies are trendy. I have to admit though I'm glad it's classical music on that album, though since it's from Naxos, what else would it be?
  • Today's "Deal-that-is-not-much-of-a-Deal" is the soundtrack to the second season of Treme for $6.99 that just came out today.
  • edited April 2012
    They do have the Alabama Shakes for 5 bucks

eta Andrew Bird too
  • They are also mirroring google's 2.99 tax day sale.
  • For $2.99 I might DL Best of Bowie later - even though I have the 2 CD version at home (but not on the computer - have nearly zero CDs on the computer). It is fairly close to my Best of Bowie playlist on the hoary old iPod mini (9 years old and still ticking). Does anyone else perpetrate this kind of redundancy on themselves?
  • The Alabama Shakes's albums is excellent, especially the first track "Hold On"
  • 12k records just launched a new online store for their own releases - and for the rest of this month digital copies of everything are 50% off, which puts them below emusic prices. http://shop.12k.com/

Good job I have most of the titles already or else I'd be spending too much money.
  • I don't think I have any of those - any particular recommendations?
  • Yes indeed. I'll post a short list tomorrow.
  • edited April 2012
    OK, so if you wanted to take advantage of the 12k 50% off sale, here are some suggestions (detailed descriptions are on the linked pages):

- if you want to try one thing, I suggest either... Shizuku by Illuha. The addition of cello and some spoken word to the 12k mircosound aesthetic makes this more accessible than some - and beautiful.

- ...or, slightly further back, Marcus Fischer's Monocoastal is an essential recording, absolutely beautiful. NOTE: CHEAPER AT EMUSIC.

- Other recent strong releases would include Ballads of the Research Department by The Boats (pensive long-form instrumental pieces with a hint of musical storyline) and In a Place of Such Graceful Shapes by Taylor Deupree and Marcus Fischer (a drifting collection of small ambient sounds).

ETA: If you fancy cherry-picking a few cheap bargains, Kane Ikin's Contrail is nice and reviewed on MiG and is $2. There's a 12k sampler for $2 as well that is not bad place to start on the 12k catalog. Taylor Deupree's Snow is $1 and nice enough.

In fact for $2 why not buy the sampler and have a listen? You have another 12 days before the sale ends on the rest of the stuff.
  • Just had a closer look at the track list on that sampler - it includes tracks from all the titles I suggested above except Snow. Definitely worth $2.
  • I don't even remember how I, oh, checking up on the Fantastic Voyage label but Amazon has this 47 track single volume Letter Full Of Tears - vintage Gladys Knight and the Pips for $7.99. It is a Vol.1/Vol.2 proposition elsewhere, like eMu, and 7dig has the one volume for $8.99 and the split set as well - go figure.
  • edited April 2012
    My candidate for biggest margin of difference between download price and physical price: in the new 12k store Taylor Deupree's Sea Last is $2 download and $135 physical.
  • edited April 2012
    By the way it just occurred to me that I didn't recommend the two Pjusk albums in my list above. I probably just assumed that everyone should have them already :-). Definitely try Sart. Brilliant stuff.

One caveat emptor: the Jodi Cave album is beautiful, but cheaper at emusic, even at the sale price. Murralin Lane is the other one I noticed that is cheaper at emu. ETA: monocoastal as well - edit added above.

Still deciding which gaps in my own collection to fill.
  • edited April 2012
    MP3 Code: MOMROCKS use by end of the night on April 22nd to save $2.

Also, if you use/have Prime, they will give you $1 credit to use free super saver shipping.
  • Thank you CW! The new album from The Men is now mine for $3.

Craig
  • Np Craig. Thinking about that album among others like Cloud Nothings.