Amazon Daily mp3 Download Deals

Comments

• Got Bonnie Raitt at $1.99, then Black Keys, Beach Boys, Monsters and Men, Florence, Lumineers and Kimbra at .99. If they go down to .25 I'll get Katy Perry... Cool sale.
  • I added the Beach Boys, Regna Spektor, Jason Mraz (for my daughter, I swear), the Lumineers and Gotye. A good day on Amazon.
  • The Lumineers are a Denver band. I've had a hold on their album at the local library since 4/12/2012 and I'm still 46th in line out of (now) 369. For $0.99 I'll just get it that way.
  • Downloads are sooooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
  • No problem here.
  • edited July 2012
    From Amazon CS via Twitter: "BTW, If you ordered at $1.99, we will be issuing you the difference via email. No action required on your part. Rock on!"

edit: they also say the 99 cents is only good til midnight, so decide quickly....
  • Awesome! Not sure why via email and not just a credit to the account, but whatever. No complaints here.

Craig
  • Wow, very cool. I was going to be a little miffed that I picked up fun. and Regina Spektor for $1.99 this morning, but no complaints now. Checking out Lumineers, Of Monsters and Men and... actually Kimbra. She sings on that Gotye song. We'll see.

I've already got 4 of the albums otherwise I'd really clean house.
  • Just went with Regina. I have so many of these already: breach house, black keys, Of Monsters & Men, Florence..
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks for posting this - just caught it. At first glace I thought it wasn't my thing...then I decided .99 was a price point at which I was willing to grab a bunch of albums the rest of you are listening to and see what I'm missing, so I ended up getting most of the ones mentioned repeatedly in the thread, purely on all of your recommendations.

And it is not in that list of 99 cent albums, but if you don;t have enough Gregorian Chant this album is also .99 at the moment.
  • edited July 2012
    I'm still curious about the fact that Google Play and Guvera and Napster (among others) will not let me access content because I am overseas, but Amazon is cheerfully letting me buy things from here, and download them after purchase. It actually makes sense (chances are if I have an account with a credit card tied to a US address I am a US resident who is traveling), but I am still pleasantly surprised they let me do it given all the usual nonsense about regional restrictions. Emusic works overseas also, otherwise I would have missed the free credit; apparently it too is more bothered about your credit card address than your physical location.
  • edited July 2012
    Just in case anyone is still short of random classical compilations, there's a 4th of July deal on these for .99

"The Most Relaxing Beethoven In The Universe" - candidate for silliest title in the universe. How do they know he's more relaxing than the Martian Beethoven? Have they compared?
  • edited July 2012
    Gp:
    then I decided .99 was a price point at which I was willing to grab a bunch of albums the rest of you are listening to and see what I'm missing, so I ended up getting most of the ones mentioned repeatedly in the thread, purely on all of your recommendations.
    Schew! You get to see what you're missing without having to stream them from an easily accessible free or cheap service. What a relief! :)

(Just needling, sorry.)
  • edited July 2012
    I have a spotify account and a Rdio account and use them. But they are still not the most enjoyable way for me to listen, as I do so much of my listening away from connectivity, and enjoy collecting things (one could equally borrow the CD from a friend, but that hardly replaces the feeling of finding a bargain). Not opposed to streaming, just don't find it as fun. Do you think those of us who still buy things are luddites?
  • @GP - Not sure which ones you went with, but I'll definitely recommend The Black Keys, Gotye, Beach House & Florence - all of which I already owned. I listened to Of Monsters and Men and the first few Lumineers songs last night and am happy I picked them up.
  • Also get the Beach Boys: it's uneven, but some of the songs are completely brilliant. Beach House has a stripped down Cocteau's feel. Lumineers is good, though not quite a mature work.
  • Gp:
    Do you think those of us who still buy things are luddites?
    Oh my, no - I've gone on and on about the endowment effect in the past, and buy plenty myself. No, I was focusing on the idea of "seeing what (you're) missing" - to me, streaming very obviously fills that function so well that the idea of buying to fulfill that seems a bit odd. You seem to approach your purchases in such a considered fashion I wouldn't've guessed you'd fulfill that function with shot-in-the-dark purchases, rather than easily accessible one-off streaming listens. Personally, at this point, I don't want to add to my library unless I have known good reason to.
  • GP, I am certain with Amazon it is the location of your credit card. I can get that far with Amazon US, but it is when I put credit card number in, it then rejects me. Ironically I can buy books from their US site, though. It doesn't mind my card for that. What I ought to try to do is an order with both! Unfortunately, Amazon UK does not have any of these deals.
  • edited July 2012
    @kargatron, yes, I do use Rdio et al for checking things out these days and am usually painfully considered about my purchases, though the latter factor actually also makes it fun to just grab something on impulse every now and then. streaming is basically not a viable option for me right now (last hotel I was in wanted $7.50/hour for wifi), though again at .99 I might well have splurged even if back home. Buying music is mstill a pleasure, and at that price point I got five albums for about the same as I paid in a cafe for a pot of tea. The samples sounded nice and it was a chance to add a new shrubbery to the garden at minimal cost to see if I like it, as it were.
    @thom, Florence is already in the house (my daughters are big fans we're going to see her play in A few weeks). I picked up Bonnie Raitt for my wife and Gotye, Monsters, Lumineers, Fun. and the Gregorian Chant one for myself.
  • Actually I think a lot of it boils down to whether I want to hear something through once or twice to check if it's at all interesting o whether I feel like giving it enough listens to grow on me. Streaming is for he former, buying for the latter. And e latter is for me the only way to give a genre I'm less immediately into a chance.
  • edited July 2012
    I can appreciate that, Gp. Living "domestic", i have arbitary access to rdio at home and work if I wish, so can use it as a testing ground for an arbitrary amount of time if I want. I use it maybe 20-30% of my listening day.

Anyway, let us know your reactions weeks down the line. I might guess you'd find the most value in Beach House and the Black Keys, and maybe Of Monsters and Men depending on fickle pop tastes. If you do happen to like the last, try out Stars, one of my favorite pop groups, and a seemingly big influence on OMaM to my ears.
  • Another $3 voucher, must be used by 7/12.
  • Thanks BT; I am this happy about this deal:

63468346597cfba941d4a768bea59f8a1f4621dac8e7032b4732e429cab70e78
  • Torn between the Alabama Shakes and 40 Hank Williams songs which is a copy of the google sale.
  • edited July 2012
    AM, do you realize that Hank comp is on Hallmark?
  • Yes; is that a bad thing? I gather from a Wikipedia search that it's a British label re-issuing things that are out of copyright there.
  • I was annoyed when I missed the last voucher, so immediately used this one to buy this great record: John Hollenbeck's Shut Up and Dance with the Orchestre National de Jazz.
  • The other board has some bad opinions about sound quality on Hallmark. I think BigD has some experience, so he might be the person to ask.
  • Thanks BT - by happy coincidence the new Thomas Köner album is $2.97 (grabbed for free).
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks BT, I noticed while entering that code that Amazon put $5 into my accounts for Kindle Editions, Video Downloads, and Game downloads. Not sure what I did to merit this gift, but I'll spend the Kindle money at least.

Edit: I am an idiot....the $3 credit +$2.02 for overpaying on the July 4 sale are usable for any electronic download, Kindle, Games or Video.