More Great Music on Amie Street for less than $4

Comments

• psychoyogi.jpg

Psychyogi-arts and farces

somewhere between Zappa's Wazoo Lather and Tull's crane legged minstrel moves.
    good stuff
    currently free
  • These have been sitting there for awhile, but...

Taylor Haskins has just put out a fantastic new album, "American Dreams", available on emusic.

Two of his earlier albums are on Amie, both just over two bucks each. I can't vouch that either of them are up to his current album's standards, but I figured you should at least know about it. I mean, in Amie dollars, that's like a buck each.

http://amiestreet.com/music/heatmiser/#/search?query=taylor%20haskins
  • Rde?a Raketa - Old Girl, Old Boy - $.33 in amie money (or 12 creds at emu) - I think maybe Brighternow gets the credit for this one - but it's a great use of $.33 - electroniglitchynoiseness - but not too noisy - just right.
  • Bessie Smith Sings Them Dirty Blues - currently free.
  • edited July 2010
    Um, for all you jazz fans out there, apparently there's a pop singer named Jack Johnson, so don't bother clicking play on the samples for the Hit Company's tribute album.
  • This seems like nice one. . .
  • apparently there's a pop singer named Jack Johnson

Never heard of him. You must mean Jack Jones...here singing one of the last great male chauvinist pig songs.
  • Is it just me, or is Ann Coulter making records under an assumed name?
  • So I wasn't the only one who saw the similarity.
  • It is on "High Maintenance Productions", which is a point in favor of your suspicion.

That woman appears to be too attractive to be Ann Coulter, though.

Craig
  • She also does not appear to have an Adam's Apple... ba-da-tsh
  • Your right....

Ms Coulter looks more like a crack-whore of this woman...ba-da-tsh
  • P.S. That Glasser EP is still under 3 bucks and I am freakin' loving it. True Panther is one of those imprints that I d/l just about anything they put out.
  • I'd been considering it anyway, so you put me over the top. Sadly, it will likely increase our last.fm compatibility.

Craig
  • What could it go to, Super Duper? Clone?

Got lucky this week with some of the Amie drops. Took a flyer on Grasscuts while it was around 2 bucks, still very much worth it as it pushes 4. It's a nice combination of eerie and odd electronic while still being accessible. I think I'm digging Weed - part of that whole fuzzy nostalgic vibe that drives the kids wild these days. It's just a 5 track EP, so still under 2.
  • edited July 2010
    backwords.jpg

Backwords-factory angels

Big city smirk, rural croak, guitars that pluck and poke and the drift and high lonesome of
    harmonica and pedal steel, push scratchy pop songs into the motioning fingers of color that beam from a slightly ajar, barely hinged door on the old barn that suddenly appeared in the vacant lot across the street. Its wrinkled face, bearded by weeds and high grass, lures you with unpaved, cosmic cowboy promise through the dance of heat wigglers rising from the hot afternoon asphalt.
  • Never heard of him. You must mean Jack Jones...here singing one of the last great male chauvinist pig songs.

No, it says Jack Johnson. Maybe they're confused and mean Jones. Dunno. I do know that it sure ain't got anything to do with the Miles Davis album.

http://amiestreet.com/music/the-tribute-co/r8mRS3qSiMAx/
  • No, they do mean Jack Johnson, who has been around for several years now.

He's kind of a folkier version of Dave Matthews in my book (which isn't a good thing in my opinion). The type of stuff that suburban housewives find soulful.
  • frogkopf wrote:
    The type of stuff that suburban housewives find soulful.
    Sounds like a convergence of the soulless, if that is the case I have an enterprise IT RFP they might like to fill out....
  • No, they do mean Jack Johnson, who has been around for several years now.

I was just foolin', I know all about him. I would just rather hear Jack Jones!

I have noted with some concern/surprise that the once-great (and still better than most) WXRT-FM here in Chicago plays this brand of bland, inoffensive pop-rock. DMB too, though they were early adopters.
  • I'll also add that Jack Johnson isn't fit to lick the boots of Jack Jones (he of the Love Boat Theme)
  • Here's a tasty one for under $2.....

Shhh.... by The Secret Project , recommended to fans of the Cardigans and/or Cinematic 60s pop a la Lee Hazlewood.

Their supersoaked video of It's Alright Now
  • theskinnyfists are going to pound that one into the stratosphere!
  • C-Back

It's a four track EP! They're about to break out!

Craig
  • >"They're about to break out!"

You mean like a disease? Catchy, very catchy.
  • C-Back IS on a Threshold of a break out.
  • edited July 2010
    Bananfluer-Overalt-EP-by-Jaga-Jazzist_w0U8x31eUs0x_216w_216h.jpg
    Jaga Jazzist - Bananfluer Overalt EP (Fruitflies Everywhere)

- N/A in Europe, though.
  • Mam's L'1Solent - African hip hop in French - I don't understand a word but I'm loving it - currently free.
  • edited July 2010
    sidewalkregrets.jpg

The Sidewalk Regrets-s/t

The singer broods and looms like Morrison by way of Iggy (plus the long list of followers that came after), almost to the point of darkness and drama one would expect from a disciple of the king of lizards; however, the guitarist takes the looseness and energy of James Williamson’s work on Kill City to higher more inventive level and the rhythm section plays as if it they alone were the mofos being rallied to kick out the jams, resulting in a rock record that bites much louder than it barks.

I think it’s still under 3 dollars