More Great Music on Amie Street for less than $4

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I didn't listen too deeply to ELO after the "No Answer" LP, that's probably why i didn't do a better job of connecting the dots.....I 'll listen again
    with an ear towards Lynne, the Lennon connection seems a tighter fit, though.

the following quote from wikipedia does support the Lynne-Lennon association:
    "The Beatles were a major influence on Jeff Lynne. In 1968, while performing with the Idle Race Lynne met The Beatles during the making of The White Album. Years later Lynne admitted, "To be in the same room as the four of them caused me not to sleep for, like, three days”. The original aim of ELO was to take up ”where the Beatles’ I Am The Walrus had left off, and to present it on stage”. Indeed, John Lennon had called them the "Sons of the Beatles"
  • edited August 2010
    monkeypox.jpg

Monkeypox-hey that’s my wife….

Sounds like a 70 plus minute tribute to some of the better ideas Ray Davies had in the 70s with
    sporadic nods to any number of smart aleck bands from the 90s.
    pops the whimsy and rocks it neat…almost like the real thing.
    As for the name, that issue is addressed in song where they essentially ask that you cut them some slack: “Monkeypox is the name of the band and we’re sorry you don’t understand.”

Currently free
  • Free album by this guy, which I haven't had a chance to listen to yet. However, in checking him out, I see that he has thoughts (and quite a few of them) on self-releasing your music. The "Musician Wages" website looks pretty cool.
  • jakstoni.jpg

Jakstoni Dias-silent king vol 1

dense flurries of free form, finger picking, avant guard guitar over Brazilian like rhythms.
    Surprisingly, no dancers were harmed during the recording of this music;
    I find that hard to believe since i sprained both hips during my initial attempts at a harmolodic two step.
  • edited August 2010
    mlsims1.jpg

Mark London Sims-strange groove picnic

Saturday night street corner conversations between bass and sax with relevant commentary from guitar and drum.
    some spoken word blows a cool breeze through the tight collared but loose jacketed jazz/funk smoothness.
  • edited August 2010
    ludivine.jpg

Ludivine-sexterica

Fuzz Beloved's 8 string bass sits back on its fat bottom, relaxing as it shakes soul grins into the songs as they float by
    slowly but with obvious coital interest in the tap of your foot.
  • selfrisinmojo: I'm enjoying Silent King. I took the precaution of sitting down before starting the album, but my willpower may not hold. Better make sure my chiropractor is on speed dial.
  • Gene Love Jezebel - House of Dolls - currently free.

From 1987, it is considered by a lot of fans to be their best album. For those who like the Cure, Cult, Sisters of Mercy, etc...
  • Hoping that more random 80s Beggars releases will drop...
  • Hopefully good sense will prevail, Dr. Mutex; careful though, the ear is directly connected to the foot and as you are doubtlessly aware, Silent King’s flickering tongue,
    while enjoyable, does not come with a throttle.

My judgment has not been so sound: foolishly bolstered by the warm hum of imperial stout and braced by crudely fashioned splints, I tilted my head back and broke into a flapping foot beagle hop while listening to the music below; the results were as ugly as they are unimportant.

the music, however.......

heavyethics.jpg

Heavy Ethics-rhubarb

Save for a couple of short visits by sax and guitar, this is a piano bass and drum trio.

The piano player sounds like a wild haired, sweat drenched madman, hunched over each song, tearing the meat from their ivory bones with jazz dexterity and classical intensity while the bass player and drummer rumble like huge bottom feeding beasts, roaring as they pound out jazz rhythms with funk and rock bastinadoes.
    Makes ELP sound like piano bar hacks.
    (that may be a little extreme, but you get the idea)
  • selfrisinmojo: I jumped at the Ludivine when you mentioned the Fuzz Beloved connection. Not as heavy as FB which I'll miss but sounds like it will have its own soulful charms.

Just listened to Cortex Bomb for the first time today. Good stuff.
  • hoosfoos:yeah, i prefer Fuzz Beloved's heavy, but Ludivine works to spice up a simmer.

Amie doesn't have it, but i downloaded David Melbye's other band on emusic a while back:
    Imogene-s/t

it falls somewhere between Fuzz Beloved and Ludivine
  • lloydunited.jpg

Lloyd United-mypocketzoology

Duke of Stratosphear 60s pop psych meets Beck’s genre hopping, kitchen sink quirk.
    The songs dangle their feet over steady grooves while a well stocked inventory of effects
    and instruments paint various shades of spangled interesting on their toe nails.
    Perfect for sunny summer afternoon skippies through the park-real or imaginary.
    I like it.
  • Holy carp! I can't believe someone else is rec'ing Lloyd. Not sure what the deal is with this album - My Pocket Zoo was his original band (or at least the one he entered the Hoboken music scene with). All of these songs are classics from that time in my life when every Tuesday night was hitting the local open mic and catching awesome acts like MPZ - also meeting my future wife who was a regular performer.

Honestly guys, buy this if you like fun, psych-tinged pop. The first night I saw Lloyd he stepped up to the mic with his little ukelele and his trusty sidekick on a cocktail drum (can't remember his name - he unfortunately got booted out of the country for reckless/drunken behavior) and belted out the greatest cover of "Like a Virgin" you could imagine. Really funny watching this 6 foot + guy with a shock of Kramer-like hair practically screaming songs like "Hit Me Baby One More Time" while strumming his little uke.

This prompted me to do a quick Google search and found this interview which indicates Lloyd United also includes another old friend of mine from the excellent Bossa-influenced Las Vandelays. Too bad Alan isn't playing bass for them anymore - but another quick search indicates he did have another band at one point called Alan Tepper and the Lame Excuses. Time to hit Facebook...
  • I'll admit that I'm a sucker for this type of music - it reminds me of the stuff around when I was 6.
  • radioiching2.jpg

Radio I-Ching-the fire keeps burning

Space crawl and blue slide guitar twists soundscapes with an urban saxophone that flutters and flogs the scales with moody grace and free form intensity.
    The drummer keeps it moving with tribal tommed bashing and swinging with finger snapping snare while space travel, world travel, back porches and busy downtown streets are conjured, then their direction and pace argued. Banjo and oscillation provide occasional side of the road color.
    Music that travels and moves for those times that you don’t want to.
  • I just downloaded the Fuzz Beloved and like it a LOT. Very cool, thanks!
  • Chief, one song from their upcoming album, five days early. Currently free, might be a "free track Friday" song released into the wild early. Pretty decent pop tune, although it sounds a bit U2-ish. That is not a bad thing, but it happens.
  • edited August 2010
    muggsy: I've been getting into all of David Melbye's (8 string bass) stuff; i just realized his first band: Heavy Water Experiment, has been in my save for later at emusic for a couple of years.

here's another interesting rocker I've run across:

tmwctw.jpg

The Men Who Control The Weather-the mesoamerican dream

Relentless rock and roll that approaches the intensity of half-pedal speed metal but also understands the effectiveness of unexpected turns, catchy twists and keeping the chaos danceable; synthesizers, keys and piano feed the odd and domesticate the fury, but only just. The singer rants, chants, hollers and roars while everyone around him plays their asses off and the roadies work like hell to re-attach them.
    Damn, this rocks.
  • edited August 2010
    moonwater.jpg

Moonwater-frowns are bad

Spacey glam rock with a grungy crunch;
    if a young David Jones had looked in the mirror and proclaimed
    “I am androgynous electric, I am Bowie” in the late 80s, early 90s,
    then hitched a ride with Major Tom back to the early 70s, this is what it may have sounded like.
    Fans of moonage daydreams and screwed down hairdos should enjoy
  • mojaveocean.jpg

Mojave Ocean-s/t

keyboard pillows with sufficient symphonic swirl to float your head on, electric guitar with
    enough boot to remind you where your feet are and megaphone-tunnel vocals knock on your mind and ask very nicely if it can come out to play.
    Floyd and ELP flight patterns for those who like the altitude but prefer to keep it at reasonably safe and familiar levels.
  • edited August 2010
    dborgo2.jpg

David Borgo-massanetta springs

swivel winged, brass hipped swings at the freedom of a Saturday night moon; all the quick thinking, hard working parts that make jazz move.
    more free Borgo here: David Borgo
  • meld.jpg

Meld-this and that

funky organic groove and bluesy sway with seam stretching bottom and guitar that crawls sideways
    over everything.
    Sort of like early Gomez celebrating the year of the cat
  • Romance - The Divide. Decent indie, worth a listen.
  • personarock2.jpg

personarock3.jpg

Persona-loose cannon

Persona-international gems

Persona drops the synth from their 2005 sound, loses the girl then spends the first half of 2008 recording these 14 pieces of shattered glass funk and broken roll rock.
    Sounds like David Byrne and Robert Plant kicking each other in the oddballs and Howe Gelb peeling off shards of wrong guitar as the 3 of them suggest sonic connections between the Talking Heads, Led Zepplin, Beefheart, Queen and White Witch.
  • edited August 2010
    mojo, thanks for the tip on David Borgo. Good modern jazz that is pretty straight-ahead, and all free or cheap on Amie.

He seems like an interesting guy...he is a music prof at UCSD and author of a book called "Sync or Swarm: Improvising Music in a Complex Age". Let's see what it's about:
    Sync or Swarm provides a fascinating study of musical improvisation, using theories from cultural and cognitive studies and the emerging science of chaos and complexity. David Borgo explores his topic with a systems approach, as individual chapters expand outward in scope: from the perspective of a solo improviser (English saxophonist Evan Parker); to that of a group interacting in performance and over time (the Sam Rivers trio); to the network dynamics that bind together performers, listeners, educators, and promoters into a musical community.

Yikes! "The book comes with a 74-minute CD featuring operformances by Evan Parker, the Sam Rivers Trio, George Lewis, and the author's own improvising collective, Surrealestate."

Dana Hall is another young jazz prof that I know of who is out there making good music, I bet there are lots more...