More Great Music on Amie Street for less than $4

Comments

• New Four Tet Ep on Amie - currently free.

Sing-by-Four-Tet_BpH_xL0ja_gx_full.jpg
  • edited July 2010
    sstonebreaker.jpg

Staggerlee Stonebreaker-mesoptamian blues

sstonebreaker2.jpg

Staggerlee Stonebreaker-hollywood kid

The chord progressions wrap somewhere around early John Lee Hooker’s concrete boogie, Nils Lofgren’s work with Grin or Neil Young’s faraway folkie….kinda like The Groundhogs in a light-hearted mood; in fact, the vocals come very close to a slightly polished version of T.S. McPhee’s yelping hound blues man; however, this dude is not afraid to float a croon over a jazzed smoothie for tilt and effect. Throw in lyrics that seem to truly enjoy the words they have gathered together (even if they only make sense to the singer) , some Neil Young crazy horse lead breaks, a scream of harp here an island breeze there and you have a toe tappin’, twisted peek into a little slice of genuine.

Added bonus: probably one of few artists in your collection that looks like a middle aged Lee Marvin.

Currently free
  • edited July 2010
    gatmo3.jpg

Gatmo-puddin’ on the wits

a drink glass and murmur trumpet blows toasts to a Tom Waits last call moon while dancers with Randy Newman smiles tighten the laces of reggae sway on their shady blue shoes.

currently free
  • edited July 2010
    adultpartyexp.jpg

Adult Party Experience-overpenetration

Mostly guitar bass and drum instrumentals with a pissed off punk heart and a shoulder chipped Fripp prog head.
    Currently free

Even better are the 2 albums from which the above band sprung:
    Cortex Bombs

Stretches out into jazzier territory with a mad fiddler and well skronked horn while exercising some heavy exploration of style, noise and strange.
    This is 8-10 years old but still very effective at removing those stubborn stains on your auricular fabric.

2 CDs: 1 free the other 15 cents
  • edited July 2010
    burntends.jpg

Burnt Ends-trip to dandy

Fuzzy pop with dirt road lope and open air swirl; the interesting twists and subtle touches of raspy clang and wispy teeter give it each song a shaky-on-its-feet feel.
    Not great but well worth the price of admission.
  • Bunch of new stuff in the last hour or so...anything good? This looked interesting so I snagged it: The Electric Sound Of Johnny Arrow, jazz debut by a Dap King. AAJ review
  • edited July 2010
    mocmoc.jpg

Moc Moc-dial M for moc moc

Prog punk with little Zappa tilts and big swerves of heavy. Horns give each song some wing and the who-knows-what-the-hell-they’re-talking-about lyrics are delivered by male lead on warble and speak and female sing along on pierce and drama.
    Sorta like Gong two weeks into a pothead pixie dry spell.

currently free
  • edited July 2010
    butterbrain.jpg

Butterbrain

Hot and heavy funk rock with the occasional soulful pop. The horns sweat, the bass drips with fleshy girth and the guitar is serviceably searing. I could do without the vocals and the lyrics are definitely not for the easily offended; of course, with this type of ass to the floor music, the vocals are only place keepers used to give the beat a chance to catch its breath.

Currently free
  • edited July 2010
    more stuff i downloaded on emusic that is currently free on amie:

Jason Seed Elixir-where corners meet-Loaded with great ensemble playing and some damn lively guitar,this is what Steely Dan would sound like if they were as cool as they thought they were. good stuff
    Devil Blare-journeyman-lo fi garage folk basement psych
    Mother Jackson-suck on this-rock and roll looseness with a jagged boogie edge
    Afterconfusion Soupmobile-quirk and smirk
    UFO Jim-dancing with aliens-weird dude who seems surprised he has woman problems
    Mozart Rottweiller-shaking hands with the groundhogs-ignore amie's genre labeling, this is just some off beat, homespun rock and roll. recommended by Flo and Eddie
  • newancientastro.jpg

New Ancient Astonauts-children of the vortex

Sounds like Hawkwind if Lemmy had wrestled the controls away from Captain Brock and steered their craft louder, faster and with more detours of meter, into space. Guitars storm with the required fuzz, crunch and wah while electronic burps and sneezes simulate galactic nature sounds. The vocals holler and growl like black hole echoes and the drummer, it would seem to these untrained ears, approaches his beat keeping duties like quite the motherfucker; what really propels this into the cosmos, however, is the acidic saxophone that launches, lands and orbits throughout.

Currently free
  • Downloaded this from emusic a while back, currently
    free on amie

dasbandt.jpg

Das Bandt-paraformalia

Jumpy tunes with jagged twists and ragged turns against the normal flow of traffic and a singer who will test the resolve and tolerance of even the most jaded listeners…..imagine Beefheart’s cat trying to put difficult hairball extraction to words and music.

It does have its moments; however, it is not recommended to the easily annoyed or those who choose to ignore their odd duck’s requests to go out dancing.
  • NEU!

I'm hoping the rest of the box set appears, too!
  • Ich denke, Thom Wunsch gew
  • @thom, I actually plonked money down for Amie credits to buy the NEU! boxed set for $9.03 figured I wasn't going to get it any cheaper than that. Not to mention I've never heard the band, only listened to people rave about them. So here's hoping I don't hate it!
  • @elwood, if you like Krautrock, you'll love Neu! Now I'm torn on the set, because I decided to pick up Neu! 86 for $3.25 and also have 2 of the albums from eMu. I have to check if this an upgrade for what else I've got, and if cherry picking from the box set is worth it. If only I had checked 2 hours earlier...
  • edited July 2010
    labirynt.jpg

Labirynt-exit

Labeled as “jazz, progressive" by amie,
    this handsome band of European catdaddies definitely leans heavier on the jazz.
    Woodwinds, violin, bass and drum flap their improvisational wings freely but never fiercely, keeping things tight, yet retaining an exploratory spirit.
    The bass player is surprisingly fleet of foot considering the beefy bottom of his moves, at times sounding as if he has a few extra fingers as he steers and veers towards adventure funk.
    Currently free

Also free, their second release:
    Labirynt-motion tissue
  • @thom, this is my first foray into Krautrock and I am finding Neu! to be a sort of post-modern psychedelia for city dwellers. The first two discs sort of shift between mechanical OCD and shambling anxiety. So far so good.
  • edited July 2010
    Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, two tracks, the first looks like a free track (33 recs, no price change).

Sofia Talvik - Florida (Acoustic). I really enjoy Talvik, this stripped version of her last album is very nice indeed, a bit of a throwback to her earlier albums.
  • The first track of the SSLYBY has been up for some time. I took a chance that the second track wouldn't be a freebie, but it may be a wasted REC.

Craig
  • edited July 2010
    liquidcasing2.jpg

Liquid Casing-an empty sparkling light

Avant rock with slightly strangled, post-melodic vocals and quiet passages, colored in shades of symphonic by piano and keys, merging into fuzzed and feral noise-rock guitar and excitingly abrasive jazz-prog sax; the drummer, dexterous and loose limbed, holds it together and turns it loose in all right places.
    Currently free

first release, also free:
    Liquid Casing-campaign
  • edited July 2010
    300x300.jpg

$2.04, 17dots rec'd it at some point, 'though I can't find it now, but check it out it's good stuff.
  • jackalopes.jpg

The Jackalopes-jacksploitation

40 years of garage in 50 minutes-unclean, falling apart at the seams and as wonderfully familiar as all the good stuff you'd be better off forgetting, but can't.
    currently free
  • edited August 2010
    for those put off or turned away by my babble, here are the songs by Liquid Casing that should not be missed by anyone interested in a post rock experimental groove that is fueled and fed by some pretty damn free form sax blow:

The Broadening
    Campaign I
    Campaign II
    Survivor
    Flowers
    On The Move
    Amandla
    Red Flag
    Sea Of Satellites
    Transmissions
    Lights Out
    La Tierra

still free i do believe
  • edited August 2010
    following may be of passing interest to some:

Triorbits-what are they doing in there sax, bass and drums jazz combo raving it up without fence or net
    Tom Hartig-the somnambulistDavid Sanborn putting himself to sleep then having new thing dreams
    Ronnie Neuhauser's c.a.s.b.d.-s/tsounds like Zappa's back up band laying down some smoking protest funk and fusion; the guitarist is no Zappa but he does try.
    Luxury Funk Mobile-second albumwell done jam band funk
    Ultimate Power Duo-we're in control now tight, fast,and almost melodic punk
    Joe Deninzon-electric bluehot fiddler fusion and acid burns with some spirited playing by all. It seems mr.Deninzon has been called the "Hendrix of the violin".

currently free
  • sthomasreptiles.jpg

Stephen Thomas and the Reptiles-INANUTSHELL

late 90s studio gnome prances through a well flowered garden of 1960s British pop psych.
    Sort of an English version of another do-it-yourself psychedelic nugget from the same time period: "The Orange Alabaster Mushroom".
    Falls somewhere between Barrett Piper outtakes and a slightly more fidelity conscious John's Children.
    well done and good fun.

Currently free
  • edited August 2010
    skinks.jpg

Skinks-s/t

Acoustic pop that rolls with the “I’m So Tired” bounce of late 60s/
    early 70s John The Beatle. The bite of electric teeth and the stray grin of sound and
    backing voice add the color necessary to keep the apathetic smirk afloat.
    Sounds like “Strung Out In Heaven’ by Brian Jonestown Massacre redone with a
    Lennon angle, derivative but undeniably sharp in its new clothes.
  • edited August 2010
    I heard more of a Jeff Lynne influence (which is indirectly a Lennon influence, I guess), and sure enough, they list ELO first on their list of influences.

An enjoyable listen, though. Thanks!