Amazon Daily mp3 Download Deals

Comments

• @Katrina: They didn't want to get confused with Freak Folk. Maybe Masters of Folk would be better? I have trouble thinking of M. Ward and Jim James in folk. Folk Rock, sure.
  • edited September 2009
    September 21st - MP3 Daily Deal:
    David Gray - Draw The Line - 11 tracks for $3.99 (approx $0.36 per track) - 24 hours early.

Free Song of the Day: Vic Chesnutt - Chain from his new album, At the Cut, released today.
  • Today it's the new EP 1969 by Los Lonely Boys for 99 cents over at Amazon.

I'm a sucker for their 99 and 1.99 daily specials.
  • Today it's the Ravonettes latest album In and Out of Control for 2.99

Anyone have this album? I haven't heard that much from them, but just have never gotten into them very much. I do enjoy their Christmas EP from last year I think it was.
  • Isn't it Compulsive who loves them?
  • I like that Raveonettes' album. Can't compare it to their previous ones since it was the first for me. "Last Dance" in particular is such a fantastic song. A fun album - especially if you skip the rape song...

Happy that on of Elizabeth Mitchell's children's albums is the deal today. You Are My Little Bird has been a staple since our little one was born - I even listen to some of the songs by myself.
  • Thom, you'll love You Are My Sunshine; I like that one even better than Little Bird. Try Can You Catch the Moon too, with Lisa Loeb - also not bad.
  • Looking forward to it! I actually already have the one with Lisa Loeb - took a little bit longer to catch on, but were into it now. Next up are some Dan Zanes albums!
  • Laurie Birkner can be a little bit annoying depending on mood, but is generally pretty good too. I haven't tried Dan Zanes yet; the Chairman of the Committee of Minivan Music (my wife) didn't like the samples.
  • The last few Zanes' albums have been misteps, imo, but I could listen to Sea Music and Catch that Train without my three-year old.
  • >Laurie Birkner can be a little bit annoying depending on mood,.

I really enjoy her, and miss the fact my kids have grown up enough that they don't listen to her anymore. The kids and I really like the Phineas and Ferb soundtrack, $8.99 on Amazon, but I used my $3 credit on it. Gitchy Gitchy Goo is a fun tune.
  • I had decided to start with Zanes' first one, Rocket Ship Beach largely because it included "Bushel and a Peck" - a song my wife's late granddad used to sing to her. Glad I did as there are so many great tracks, "Go Down Emmanuel Road" being my favorite.

Heard the name Laurie Birkner tossed around before but never checked her out.
  • edited December 2009
    Birkner is everpresent on Nick Jr/Noggin, playing between shows and on Jack Big's Music Show. Her lyrics can be clever and fun, but once you've heard a few, they are predictable (very list-y). Check out I'm gonna catch you and Bumble Bee.

Speaking of Jack's Big Music Show, Andrew Bird's Dr. Stringz was awesome.
  • These are free Amazon samplers that I've listened to and recommend:

Discover Texas Music: Volume 1
    Boldaslove.us Presents: Fire In The Dark

There are quite a few other free samplers, but I haven't had time to listen to them yet.

There is also a free Christmas song every day at Amazon. Most of them are good EXCEPT Lada Gaga's is about getting laid, not Christmasy at all (other than the mention of getting laid under the Christmas tree, getting laid under the mistletoe, etc.)
  • Apparently Lady Gaga can sing through her mask. Something stronger will have to be found.
  • edited December 2009
    Hah! You're funny!
    I kinda like her song "Poker Face", but this holiday tune of hers just irks me. I went back to Amazon after listening to it, and there are hundreds of comments saying much the same thing :0
  • I had no knowledge of Lady GaGa, so looked at the customer reviews. You guessed it. I decided Free cost more than I wanted to pay. A further search revealed that she is one of Baba Wawa's 10 Most Fascinating People of 2009. Do I need to know more about her?
  • edited December 2009
    Katrina, I just noticed your Sept. 21 post in scrolling - you are I hope aware that there is a comprehensive list of 5-600 free songs at Amazon you can access from the Free Songs/Special Deals Page - on the right where they display the current Top Free Songs you can click at the bottom of that section on See All Free Songs or words to that effect and it pretty much covers the last several months of freebies. I like to display them by release date so's I can keep track of them without getting that useful but annoying You Have Previously Purchased This Song pop-up.

As to BaBa, when has she ever been wrong about the tiniest little thing? And I must confess to wondering the same thing - who is this person and why should I care?
  • I know the name Lady GaGa and picked up somewhere that she wears outlandish things. To my knowledge, though, I have never heard any of her work. If Barbara Walters finds her fascinating though, I don't think I'll run out to find some samples. Anyone who thinks the guy from Jon and Kate is fascinating (I heard somewhere he was on the show, I could be wrong) clearly has a warped since of fascination.

Craig
  • edited December 2009
    Not Jon -- it's Kate who Ms. Walters finds fascinating. I have never seen the Jon and Kate show. I saw about 5 minutes of Kate on The View (I think it was that show), and I did not find her fascinating. Nor do I think The View is fascinating. I was looking for a weather report and stopped to see this Kate person as I flipped channels. I saw the photos of 9 of the Most Fascinating on the People site, I think, when following the Lady GaGa trail. Number 10 is a mystery and will be revealed at the end of the 10 Most show. Don't even know when it will be on. Or maybe it has already been on?

This link -- I have posted it before -- Amazon Free MP3s. I put a bookmark on my desktop since I check it so often.
  • Thanks to everyone about the free Amazon stuff. I actually get emails from Amazon about them, but check them too late and some of the good-looking free songs are already back to costing 99 cents.

craig - picked up somewhere that she wears outlandish things
    Now that is an understatement! Get a load of the outfits in her videos on itunes, Poker Face and Bad Romance are doozies.

There was a gossip mag in the break room a few months back, and I gather Jon cheated on Kate, and together they have 6 kids so he looks like a bigger asshole than if they were childless. Why they are on TV to begin with, I've no clue.
  • Did anyone else get the itunes discovery download from last week? It's fabulous. Maurizio Pollini playing Prelude in C Major (from Deutsche Gramophone).
    Er, sorry I didn't listen to it last week in time to alert you all. If you just DL the itunes freebies as a matter of course, give it a spin.
  • I'll have to take a look at those when I'm on my home computer. No iTunes on the work computer.

I'm pretty sure they have 8 kids, based on the show being called "Jon and Kate Plus 8". Not that cheating on your wife and 8 kids is any worse than cheating on your wife 6 kids.

Craig
  • Ok, here goes my hipster cred... Jon and Kate were having trouble having children, so they had some fertility treatment, and had twins, and then two or three years later, they wanted to try to have one more, and they ended up with sextuplets. So the Discovery Channel did a one-off documentary about them; Jon & Kate Plus 8, and it was kind of cute and sweet, and everybody loved it so much that they turned it into a series, and then it all fell apart. Maybe because they had 6 three year olds at the same time? I don't know so much about the falling apart part. My wife watched it a lot because they used to run it all the time on Discovery Health, which is one of the few cable channels that we get, and I watched it a few times with her.

As far as baba wawa, she ran Kate on her show, and I think it was on this past Wednesday, which I know because I followed the 17dots link to their new partner blog which is actually an ABC news affiliated thing.

And WTF is up with 17dots partnering with AB f'in C news to find selects bands? I'm going to go out on a limb and say if ABC News discovered them and is plugging them, they're not really gonna be that hard up for a label contract. The only thing I can think is that Disney has scooped emusic.
  • I can see where having 6 three year olds would hinder one's ability to have a good relationship with your spouse.

No need to apologize for having that knowledge though. We all have pop culture skeletons in our closet!

Isn't Pitchfork partnering with one of the major news casts too (NBC?)? I seem to remember that from something. I suppose that the news groups are trying to appeal to a younger audience (good luck with that) while the music sites are trying to expand their name recognition (again, good luck with that).

Craig
  • Haha. Kate plus 8 rhymes, so now I can maybe remember that. Those damn fertility treatments are unpredictable! Yikes, 6 three-year-olds! That must have been why I remembered 6.
    OK, now I have to go look up Baba Waba, also never heard of this/her/him. I can't be lagging mommio on this pop culture quiz ; )

ABC is in the news biz...new bands are now news!
  • edited December 2009
    Here you go, Katrina -- Re Baba Wawa

Seems Michelle Obama was the 10th, the mystery person. She wouldn't make my list of the top 10 either. As for lagging behind, what do you mean, girl! You have more pop culture knowledge in your little pinkie than I would ever hope to have. Yeah, I see your wink, but this is serious stuff. I have a ton of trivia filed away in my memory, but I'm pretty out of it as far as pop culture goes.
  • And this is the real Baba Wawa!
  • Oh good grief, Barbara Walters! I am embarrassed. I knew that.