Bandcamp Goodies

Comments

• edited July 2020
    New on Bandcamp:

Christoph Heemann
    Heemann was a founding member of the anarchic noise-collage project Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa (H.N.A.S), who released a string of bizarre, dada-inspired records during the mid 1980s. Heemann regards their 1987 release "Im Schatten Der Möhre" as the pinnacle of their recorded career.

The early 90s saw Heemann's first solo releases; within a decade he had built up a catalogue of records on labels such as Extreme (for "Invisible Barrier"), Robot Records (for the "Magnetic Tape Splicing" 12") and Barooni (for the superb "Aftersolstice"). Heemann has also been active in a number of diverse projects during the last decade, such as the group Mimir (with Jim O' Rourke and Edward Ka-Spel of the Legendary Pink Dots), and, most notably, under the name Mirror (with Andrew Chalk and Andreas Martin), while also finding time to collaborate on records by Organum,

ECM have put these and a couple more on Bandcamp now

• Lowlife said:
    ECM have put these and a couple more on Bandcamp now

Just spotted an ECM post on FB. So I went onto Quobuzz or whatever its called and looked at the prices for Hi-Res or CD quality downloads. And then I went to one of my hard drives and found I had them all as 320 mp3s. I'm not that big a fan of the man that I feel the need to spend again; but I am please that ECM are expanding on Bandcamp as there will be stuff I'll happily buy. Funny how there was no link to BC in the email - just the "High Roller" sites ;-)
  • Most ECM digital releases - including all of these that I checked - are significantly cheaper at Presto jazz than at Bandcamp. For example Offramp is 14.99 euros at Bandcamp (=23.70 CDN) vs 10.75 CDN for FLAC at Presto; 80/81 is 20.99 euros at Bandcamp (=33.20 CDN) vs.  13.00 CDN for FLAC at Presto.  You can even get hi-res FLAC (96/24) at Presto for less than the Bandcamp price.
  • yarjazz said:
    Most ECM digital releases - including all of these that I checked - are significantly cheaper at Presto jazz than at Bandcamp. For example Offramp is 14.99 euros at Bandcamp (=23.70 CDN) vs 10.75 CDN for FLAC at Presto; 80/81 is 20.99 euros at Bandcamp (=33.20 CDN) vs.  13.00 CDN for FLAC at Presto.  You can even get hi-res FLAC (96/24) at Presto for less than the Bandcamp price.

Good call; I was lamenting the lack of ECM New Series at Bandcamp and getting interested that they were present at Qobuz but of course the whole catalogue (I think) is at Presto Classical. I'm still the kind of person who wants to own rather than stream otherwise a Qobuz (or similar) sub would certainly make sense with the artificially high prices of ECM. You get your sub money back with just one album, but I don't know about the financial side of their operation, are they as dodgy as Spotify for instance?
  • edited August 2020
    Presto Classical has been around for quite some time. The Presto Jazz department is more recent though they carried some jazz releases before that; use Presto Jazz for jazz and improvised music - it is a separate department with a separate section on the web site. I think they are pretty well established; as they deal only in download and mail order they have no pricey high street rent to pay and are located outside London (also lowering costs). Check out their newsletters for both jazz and classical. The jazz newsletter is a good source of information about non-North American jazz and improvised music.
  • yarjazz said:
    Presto Classical has been around for quite some time. The Presto Jazz department is more recent though they carried some jazz releases before that; use Presto Jazz for jazz and improvised music - it is a separate department with a separate section on the web site. I think they are pretty well established; as they deal only in download and mail order they have no pricey high street rent to pay and are located outside London (also lowering costs). Check out their newsletters for both jazz and classical. The jazz newsletter is a good source of information about non-North American jazz and improvised music.

I know them fairly well and have used them on and off for about 10 years - I think they've been around in some form since 2007. Apart from them not being able to back order one Euro jazz disc last month I've always had good service. Plent of special offers in the classical dept esp.  50% off Hi-Res Naxos at the moment etc. It's where I go for box sets if I shame myself for using Amazon too much. Anyway thanks for the tip someone else here may well benefit.
  • edited August 2020
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga1740638284_14jpg
    released August 3, 2020
    Challenged by a former colleague from his Mtv days to produce an exclusive mix-track for the fanzine 'velvet sheep', duncan assembled these pieces into a custom collage of oddities, alternative versions, studio experiments & whatnot.
    this was originally available directly from the 'zine via mixcloud...
    & is also available from the band on CDr, but is now available here as a name-your-price.
    thanks to nick hutchings for suggesting it.

• edited August 2020
    Camembert lectrique imageCamembert lectrique image
    From Facebook:

CAMEMBERT ÉLECTRIQUE = Free Listening and Downloading!
    Remember a few weeks ago I was telling you that I was having problems with the Bandcamp platform: Bandcamp was putting all my catalog at 7 euros when my quota 200 free downloads had been exceeded.
    So I decided to put my entire catalogue at a minimum of €0.50 to avoid being bothered by Bandcamp.
    Today I can make an inventory of what happens when I pass my paid catalog:
    1. Listenings decreased by 50%
    2. Downloads down 99%

So I’m going to put the catalog again for free. If the 200 downloads are exceeded, I will buy additional downloads from Bandcamp instead of paying for advertising (if donations allow).
    The goal of Camembert Electric is above all to promote all the artists who gravitate around me and trust me.
    So much for the story.

Otherwise stay tuned, I will soon propose a new call for projects (Remixes of Laztek) for mid-November.
    Thank you all so much!
    Yann

https://camembertelectrique.bandcamp.com

• edited August 2020
    New on Bandcamp:

Christoph Heemann
    Heemann was a founding member of the anarchic noise-collage project Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa (H.N.A.S), who released a string of bizarre, dada-inspired records during the mid 1980s. Heemann regards their 1987 release "Im Schatten Der Möhre" as the pinnacle of their recorded career.

The early 90s saw Heemann's first solo releases; within a decade he had built up a catalogue of records on labels such as Extreme (for "Invisible Barrier"), Robot Records (for the "Magnetic Tape Splicing" 12") and Barooni (for the superb "Aftersolstice"). Heemann has also been active in a number of diverse projects during the last decade, such as the group Mimir (with Jim O' Rourke and Edward Ka-Spel of the Legendary Pink Dots), and, most notably, under the name Mirror (with Andrew Chalk and Andreas Martin), while also finding time to collaborate on records by Organum,

Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa - Im Schatten der Möhre
    released August 16, 2020
    "Heemann regards their 1987 release "Im Schatten Der Möhre" as the pinnacle of their recorded career". . . .
    ETA: Brilliant stuff !
    Hey, thanks for caring and listening, this Sunday evening I've uploaded one of my favorites, it was a wonderful time for exploring warped folklore and studio tricks, or whatever you want to call this... it was a good year, at least in retrospect,
    love and repect,
    H.C. Heemann

• edited August 2020
    sorry, i meant to put this in the Bandcamp sale area, so i just did...
  • edited August 2020
    New release from Jaap Blonk today
    A special gift at the occasion of the festival for Jaap Blonk's fifty-and-a-halfth birthday, December 23, 2003.
    CD 1 (track 1-17): "Blonk for Beginners", a selection of 'easier-to-digest' pieces from Kontrans CDs issued between 1993 and 2003.
    CD 2 (track 18-26): "Jaap Blonk Live", a collection of unique live recordings from 1986 till 2003.

• edited September 2020
    Excellent Bandcamp news:
    Although widely considered to be Post-Punk’s finest, This Heat actually began performing their music in the early days of London’s punk era.
    They developed new strange and volatile strains of avant-garde music that time has proved to be hugely influential, a blueprint for much that would follow.
    Ahead of their time, their music is as startlingly original and relevant as the day it was created.

NPR logodiscogs-button  Hail Dark Aesthetics  Cincinnati

• ^^^Break time and thanks for the heads up. I recently listened to Repeat and good thing I'm still in the Ts.  :)
  • Excellent Bandcamp news:
    Although widely considered to be Post-Punk’s finest, This Heat actually began performing their music in the early days of London’s punk era.
    They developed new strange and volatile strains of avant-garde music that time has proved to be hugely influential, a blueprint for much that would follow.
    Ahead of their time, their music is as startlingly original and relevant as the day it was created.

NPR logodiscogs-button  Hail Dark Aesthetics  Cincinnati

Have you seen the prices though, download more expensive than cd!

• edited September 2020
     ^^ No, I can't see any CD prices on the Bandcamp pages. ^^ 
    Added today, two backcatalogue albums from:

BROCOLI is proud to release Michel Chion’s masterpiece, his concrete melodrama TU. Composed in 1977 and reworked in 1996, it is now available for the first time on record for Mozart Year 2006!
    Indeed, TU's Franco-German libretto is based both on the spoken scenes of Mozart's famous opera Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute) and on verses from French poet Robert Desnos (taken from his Corps et Biens). This dense text is sometimes declaimed, at other times roared or murmured by 15 interpreters, including Ghedalia Tazartès and Karine Sacco.
    Musically, this is Michel Chion's most involved and virtuoso piece of work. The sound is assertive, abrupt, cold - one could even describe it as industrial - precise and rigid, until the profound and moving finale, similar in emotional content to the most intense moments of the artist's Requiem.
    TU is definitely a unique work of art, bringing together literature, poetry, opera and French musique concrète.

ON was born in July 2003 with the meeting of Chicago-based Steven Hess and French musician Sylvain Chauveau when they joined for a lowercase improv session recorded by Jeremy Lemos (member of White/Light, collaborator of Jim O'Rourke, Town and Country, Sonic Youth...).

Their first album, Your Naked Ghost Comes Back At Night was mixed by Helge Sten aka Deathprod, the illustrious member/producer of Supersilent, and then released in 2004 by French label Les Disques du Soleil et de l'Acier. The album appeared as a brilliant collection of dense, monochromatic layers.

Second Souffle is now built upon the same recording session, but with new mixes and editing by French musician Pierre-Yves Macé (Sub Rosa, Tzadik). The album is a slick display of ambient, improv and concrete music; a rich electro-acoustic composition made of piano, prepared guitar, vibes and percussion.

ON has played live in the USA, France, Italy, Austria and Germany. The duo even joined Christian Fennesz for the 2004 edition of the French Musique Action festival.
    - Two brilliant and very recommendable albums . . .
  • ^^^ @Brighternow I see what they've done. On one part of the page they say physical sales only but lower down there is a price - $15.98 for This Heat and Deceit and $74.98 for Out of Cold Storage. I'm not going to click the links to find out if they work and that's for sure.
  • edited September 2020
    ^^ Oh ? . . . Well neither will I.

[less than special edition]
    released September 4, 2020
    The original OVN CD from 2006.... sort of. This is actually an alternate master from those 2006 sessions. This "less than special" edition includes 3 previously unreleased tracks from that same time period.

Ostrich von Nipple is a music maker based out of the Atlanta, GA area (USA). Often times, he will enlist the help of friends and colleagues due to their interesting sounds. Ostrich von Nipple’s music can be dark, somber, and haunting at times; colorful and wacky at others. The sounds are organized into strict compositions as well as abstract forms. Yet, through all of the different tones that are represented, the music always manages to remain a bit surreal. A sonic realm where nothing is truly as it seems.

In 2012, Ostrich von Nipple became Psychofon Records’ first signed artist. Since then, he has released three albums, two EP/singles, and (rumor has it) there is a lot more on the way. Always unique, never compromising. Working with artists such as Nolan Cook (The Residents etc.), Molly Harvey (The Residents etc), Shitty Bedford and The Goons of Waxing Gibbous, Ostrich has certainly shown his range and ability to adjust his style to fit other artists. We at Psychofon Records are always excited to hear what new concoctions he comes up with, and make sure the album’s packaging compliments, nay, represents the music perfectly.

- Psychophon Records.

- Seriously weird in the most charming "Renaldo & the loaf" kind of way . . .
  • ^^ Oh ? . . . Well neither will I.

[less than special edition]
    released September 4, 2020
    I really enjoyed this, thanks for the heads up - but seriously just exactly how many "friends and relations" of The Residents are there out there? I remember thinking it was big news discovering that Snakefinger (Phil Lithman) was the ex-guitarist in Brit Pub Rock combo Chilly Willy and the Red Hot Peppers!
  • edited September 2020
    Another Jay !

- So far with just one album. I hope it continues . . .

+ My Emusers thread:

+ some Emusers history:
    - NWR and NWCRI is with no doubt the most important gamechanger (if you can call it that) in my view on classical music, ever.
  • A Finders Keepers release from 2016:

Alwin Nikolais
    (November 25, 1910 – May 8, 1993)
  • I have a question that maybe somebody could answer?
    Every once in a while, I get an email from Bandcamp saying something like
    "(so-and-so) just bought the following item after discovering it thru your recommendation..."
    I don't know how that works. Where did they go to make the connection between my earlier buying of something and the person making the current purchase as a direct result of my "recommendation" (even tho I rarely rate or comment on albums)?
  • In my Bandcamp "collection", it shows how many other folks have a specific album in their collection?  Perhaps there is a connection there????
  • I see that too, but that just shows what you already share between the two of you.
    Somehow, when someone buys a recording after they've noticed that I've bought it,
    it somehow translates into a request by me followed by a thank you from Bandcamp.
    Maybe it's only on recordings that I've actually left a review for and, subsequently,
    Bandcamp robots just assume that it was my statement (and others) that made the
    person buy the item? Don't know, but I may compare my "thank you" emails with whether
    I've made any comments. My latest comment on an album wasn't all that flattering which
    makes it all the more funny.
  • Perhaps they are following you?
  • edited September 2020
    Nah, there's nobody in this room but me.

:# 
  • Maybe if someone views/listens to an album that they've seen in your collection and then buys within a certain timescale they're deemed to have bought it on your recommendation?

• JonJon
    edited September 2020
    In Bandcamp you can browse other users collections, and even 'subscribe' to other users so that you can see what they are buying. On one hand that could be disturbing, but I have used the feature myself. If I see someone who has a lot of overlap with my tastes I can follow them and can learn about releases that may have flown under my radar.

Anyway, when a person clicks on a release from your collection and then proceeds to purchase that release, they give 'credit' to you for leading that person to discovering and purchasing it.
  • Jon said:
    In Bandcamp you can browse other users collections, and even 'subscribe' to other users so that you can see what they are buying.
    I just thought I  would highlight my "interesting people to follow" list
    - With a good handful of Emusers too . . .