Amazon Daily mp3 Download Deals

Comments

• Nice find BT. Weird that it's a "local" deal and didn't seem to care that I'm in Jersey.
  • Zzz, snore, Amazon sale on artists who have also been in movies. You will never guess which group is included.
  • If you paid full price for She & Him, you paid too much!
  • I used my $2 on Silver Apples of the Moon by Morton Subotnick; it's 4 tracks, originally two albums, $3.96.
  • Btw, if you're using the Amazon Local voucher, be sure to apply it your account before placing order. I overlooked this step myself, to $4 worth of regret. Voucher expires June 20 (Wednesday), I believe.
  • edited June 2012
    New batch of $2.99 albums - I might go for The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking - Waters solo works are a bit of a difficult listen (I bought Amused To Death when it came out because Jeff Beck was on it - the CD sounded phenomenal, but I don't feel I enjoyed it - Roger was just so grim) but for $2.99 it speaks to me. And probably Imogen Heap too.
  • It's nice having the $2.99 albums: I used the $2 coupon this weekend to get Closing Time for a buck. However, they tend to be older, slower moving releases, thus no great substitute for the daily deal.
  • Iggy's Lust for Life has been on my 'need to get' list for some time, so that's an easy download.

Craig
  • edited June 2012
    Not the daily deal, but I ran across Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express for only $3.99. A classic. I'm happy to help you spend your money, so you're welcome!
  • Brilliant find, Rudie!
  • edited June 2012
    John Coltrane - Giant Steps. Only $1.99, if you do not already have it. (And seriously, why wouldn't you already own this?)
  • @Plong42: Seriously. Nice to see Amazon still dipping to some good deals, even if I already own this one, too.
  • I did not own it already.

Do now.

Craig
  • @cafreema "I did not own it already. Do now."

Your day has been made.
  • The best (apocryphal?) story about that album is that "Giant Steps" is in a fast 2/2, and the great pianist Tommy Flanagan came into the date expecting it to be in 4/4, only half as fast as Trane's tempo.
  • I don't like modern Jazz much but seeing how this was one of those 'ultimate' records and $1.99 I thought I would try it. The sax is boring and monotonous, the drumming simplistic and dull, this record confirms my prejudices about modern jazz, elevator music. Furthermore the production seems horribly separated, I imagine this was originally mono but now all the sax is in one ear and the rest in the other, doesn't sound good (it's not my gear, I checked).

In case you wonder, I like a wide range of music, trad jazz, classical, blues, modern country, rock of many kinds, some reggae, no rap though...

Can't please everybody, I guess.
  • Lol, guess not or "I already knew I was going to hate this and I was right!"
  • modern jazz, elevator music

Modern? When it came out, OK. Now, not really.
    Elevator music? Not really either.
  • Here I thought I had "Giant Steps", but to my chagrin was missing it. Thanks for the pointer.

I read that review, too. I love when people try to qualify that they do in fact like a wide range of music and then present a list that is anything but. Wow, you like classical AND traditional jazz and even some rock? That just about covers everything, right?
  • Some reggae.
  • No rap though. It's always "I like all kinds of music, but no rap."
  • Erm, well, must admit I'm kind of with him on that one. I've tried, I swear...
  • Does he really like "all kinds of music"?

(Please reference craig's addendum to the Bad Thoughts rule:)
    Rule of thumb: anything that appears to cross over does so toward the more obscure genre.

Example: Creed's "With Arms Wide Open", because it has strings, is classical music.
    But Johnny Cash had horns in "Ring of Fire" so he's jazz.
  • Re: Giant Steps: I had this on cassette, and my copy went the way of the cassette. However, I don't seem to miss it. The music seems burned in my mind, not just because I played it a lot, but also because the tunes and the style infiltrated so much music. Somehow I don't feel it necessary to purchase.
  • But Johnny Cash had horns in "Ring of Fire" so he's jazz.
    They're mariachi horns, so he's Latin.

Also, the idea for those horns famously came to him while tripping, so he's psychedelic.
  • "They're mariachi horns, so he's Latin."

Occidi homo in Reno, iustus ad vigilate moriatur.
  • Sordida senex ovum lactantem canis
  • DODT - ixnay, ixnay, ixnay.
  • Meum nomen est Sue. Quomodo facere! Nunc amet mori.
  • Amazon $2.99 deals for the week have a number of great albums, including the usual suspects (fun. Civil Wars, Mumford and Sons, all worthy of your $3) and a number of classics (Dark Side of the Moon; Bowie's Heroes; Talking Heads' Speaking in Tongues; Grateful Dead's American Beauty); Led Zeppelin's Mothership is a great deal, 24 tracks.

All worth three bucks if for some reason you do not have them already on Vinyl, Cassette, 8-Track, CD, Remastered CD, (or in the case of DSOTM, the re-re-mastered CD).